keeping it straight

franklin

I dont know if this will help anyone, but lately ive been quenching my 1095 then straight to a set of stainless plates i made. (2 inch wide x 12 inch long x 1/2 thick) One side i surface ground, has soon as it comes out of the quench i put it inbatween the plates, Then i have 3 wood style clamps that i tighten up and let sit for a couple of min.
From there i remove from the plates and clean up, then temper. Since i started this NO warped or bent blades, give it a try, hope this helps. i will post a pic of the plates later.

Last edited:
Interesting. Is this straightening blades that warped in the quench tank, or is it preventing warping from stresses in the steel after coming out of the tank?

Thanks for sharing.

I do it in case it warped in quench, just a different way of straightening i guess. wish cashen would chime in on this , would it hurt the blade if there were stresses in the steel?

I have heard of others doing much the same thing. As far as residual stess in a blade goes, I don't know if it can be completely removes but three normalizations before quenching will releive at least most of it as well as refine grain.

Doug

I normalize before heat treat. just wandering if it would be bad on blade if you did not? or forgot.

Back