1095 Heat treat in a straight format........

Battle Creek Knives

Okay I know there's many answers/opinions are through trial and error......... I'm looking for just some straight forward answers..

I've read and read and can't read no more, tied my brain in knots trying to deal with the topic of heat treat, I've dealt with 1084,01,5160 and now I have a slew of 1095 from Aldo..........

my question is simple yet complicated to many who simply refuse to comply with a straight forward answer..

here is what I've gathered in my limited understanding..............(for bar stock only)

soak for 5 mins @ 1475-1500*

quench immediately (within 1 second) into 130* oil

move blade around oil and count to 7

after cooling to room temp, temper blade @ 400* cycles

seem like a reasonable compromise??

please expound, I dare ya.. :)

Last edited:
Sounds good to me too. I don't move the blade in the oil but others do without problems. It's just that I don't without problems. If you do agitate the the oil with the blade move it up and down or edge to spine. Sideways is asking for problems.

Doug

The temperature of the quenchant depends on.... well, the quenchant.

Parks #50 does not (and probably should not) need to be pre-heated to 130F. In fact, if I recall the MSDS correctly, it's recommended temperature for quenching is between 60F and 120F.

Vegetable, Canola, etc... oil, should however be preheated somewhere around that range. Brine too IIRC, though you'll have far fewer broken blades with Parks, Vegetable, or Canola.

I highly recommend parks#50 for 1095.... if not, try a very thin canola oil for quenching. I've found that the cheap generic brand canolas are thinner than the name brand stuff.

Your temps and time look good. I use Canola oil at 120 for 01 and 1095.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with

What Doug said about the way to move the blade.....
What Andrew said about the temperature of quenchant.....

Back