How do you fill small crevice/crack from pin??

jono7183

attachment.php

newbie question. I dont know if the hole was slightly bigger than pin, but theres a small crack/crevice next to pin.every time i keep sanding, it just keeps chipping. Anything i can use to fill it, so it will be smooth when i do final sanding? hopefully this picture downloads..thanks!!

Oscar Cantu
future knifemaker

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
You might see if you can put some epoxy in there and sand it off. The problem is that the pin hole is too big. Even if you go 1/64" over the size of the pin you are going to get a gap. What you need to do is get some metric or wire guage (number) size bits that are just a few thousandths of an inch over the size of the pin stock. A micrometer is very handy for this and I found one with a digital read out in metric, decimal, and fraction measurements. For instance, I use a 6.4mm bit with 1/4" pin stock. I use a 3.2mm for 1/8" stock but I could also use a #30 which would be just a little larger. The reason it's good to mic you pin stock, and possibly your bits, is that they can vary slightly from the nominal size. I have some slightly undersized 1/4" stock that will fit snugly into the pin hole with a 1/4" bit.

Doug

Might try useing a real light coat of super glue over all the wood and sand that down before it sets. That will help seal the holes.

Might try useing a real light coat of super glue over all the wood and sand that down before it sets. That will help seal the holes.

What he said! And use the "Thin" fast penetrating kind of super glue First!
And use a second coat of the thick Super.
Start Sanding before the Thin drys. Then with the Thick.

This will fill and cover most holes.

Happy Holidays.
Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

I grind a small pile of dust from the same material and mix it in with epoxy. Try to grind from a part of the material that is a bit darker as the dust is always lighter in color. If it's man made stuff, that won't work of course.

If you are nearly finished sanding and the gap shows up.
Mix the dust with 2 part 5 minute epoxy as thick as you can. Peanut butter thick. Smear it in the gaps and start sanding lightly. The heat and dust will cure the epoxy and make the fix almost invisible.

If you have lot's of sanding to do.
Use gap filling super glue and fill the gap with it. Start sanding aggressively and let the sanding dust mix in with the super glue. It will smear all over but that's fine, you will sand it off. You will get better results if you fill the gap half way and sand and then repeat to fill the gap entirely.

Back