"Odd How To" Question?

N.D.

I have a few marble and granite counter top sections that were given to me, some of them are (almost) good sizes for using as flat sanding bases for blades and 1 or 2 are just about the right size to use some P.S.A. micro polishing film (8000 grit?) for very fine knife edges, but there are some rough edges and some broken up (side) edges on the stones.

My ?:
I was wondering if any 1 knows from personal experience or otherwise a low buck down and dirty way that "I" can cut, sand, grind, polish, these stone pieces here at home or to at least square up the rough broken edges? :confused2:

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The edges can be cut square with a right angle grinder and a diamond blade. Use a water hose turned on just enough to keep water flow at the cut area so it doesn't build up to much heat

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=xdvgTuuPLsj8gge0oLHiBQ&ved=0CHoQ8wIwAw

You might ask the person who gave you these he probably has the equipment to cut and polish. Sometimes it amazing what buying a beer for a buddy can accomplish!:what!::biggrin:

Last edited:
If the slabs are not that thick, say less the 1 1/2" I would use and abrasive stone cutting blade in a skill saw or better yet rent a gas powered "chop" saw from a rental, they come with a blade on them and you only pay by the inch for what you use Im guessing ($45) for the rental, the skill saw blade will be a little less, just not as robust.

Good luck, and God Bless
Mike

Ccraft & DiamondG

Thanks for the reply's an the advice,:3: I got this stuff from a stranger at a custom cabinet/counter top shop he let me pick em outta the trash so to speak, they were busy and I didn't wanna be a PIA askin them to cut them for me as well as givin em to me for free.
These slabs are not thicker than 1 1/2" more like 1"-1"1/4, so I'll have to give the Diamond abrasive wheel or chop saw rental a try when I can get some $$ to pay for it (the hard part!):34:lol
I also wonder if this would work to square off the broken end of a A.G. Russell Moon stone I dropped OOPS:eek:

Bye for now & Thanks again for both of you're inputs !:biggrin:

Last edited:
You can smooth then down a bit with good-quality coarse sandpaper wrapped around a flat block, if the edges aren't too badly beat up. That might get 1 or 2 of them good enough to use, but it uses the abrasive up fast so you will go through a lot of sandpaper. You might check them with a straightedge to see how flat they are first. Countertops are not always perfectly flat, especially if they have been heavily polished.

I'll Have to check for straight and flat before I invest any time or $$ into them, thanks J.K. for reminding me.

...And now class tell me what happens when we just A.S.S.U.M.E. something??? :eek: lol

Thanks again all! :biggrin:

I'll Have to check for straight and flat before I invest any time or $$ into them, thanks J.K. for reminding me.

...And now class tell me what happens when we just A.S.S.U.M.E. something??? :eek: lol

Thanks again all! :biggrin:

I was guilty of assuming that same thing, until one day I decided to check mine:(

If all else fails, Boss Dog just recently started carrying a 3" thick 9"x12" black granite surface block that's very reasonably priced. Not SUPER big but plenty for most things us knife makers use them for.

Boss Dog carries

If all else fails, Boss Dog just recently started carrying a 3" thick 9"x12" black granite surface block that's very reasonably priced. Not SUPER big but plenty for most things us knife makers use them for.

JK sorry to hear you had a bad experience taking this route.

I got the tip from a Knife maker that I could use free or cheap slab scraps from the grave head stone shop, for a flat lapping plate but the ride I got (no car) only knew where a custom counter top shop was so I made a compromise and got what I got, and I hope it will work for my purposes.

AR Thanks for the heads up. :biggrin:

You might also try renting a tile saw from Home Depot or the like. I don't know first hand whether or not it would handle stock as thick as you want to cut, but I am sure that is easy enough to find out.

Diamond blade and water is the best way to go. I used to work in a granite shop and it wouldn't take any time to polish it with the proper tools. If you don't want to go back to the cabinet guy then look for a place that sells headstones they will usually have the same tools to work with granite just stop in and see if they can knock it out for you. I imagine if it wasn't free it would still be cheaper than renting a tool or buying a diamond blade.

On the Granite I would use a Diamond blade, Granite is very hard and a must is keep it cool. Marble on the other hand is actually a real soft stone and does tend to have harder spots in it. I have etched Marble in the past with both Diamonds and tungsten carbide bits. Marble can be cut with a Dremel cutoff wheel, so this i would use a masonry cutoff wheel. Beware that it could crack or chip. Again keep it cool with water.

Back