Newb's chisel cut tanto

repooc

OK I got steel in (CPM S30V) so I don't know when I will finish the edger blade knife (first knife) but here is my Second knife. It is a chisel cut tanto with a spike on the butt. Should be kinda cool. I need to get an oven asap because I am ready for HT. Tell me what you think and please be frank cause I'm a newb. BTW knives are hard to capture in pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpg
    IMG_3291.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3295.jpg
    IMG_3295.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 30
Repooc though this may turn out great, it looks like you are attempting a rather advanced pattern for your second but it may be okay. My concern is your layout method seems to lack the planning necessary to pull off a short tanto with a belly edge and clip point- this would be challenging for an experienced maker. I would move the front handle line back for a proper ricasso so the plunge line doesn't run into this area and I would also lighten the handle by drilling holes in steel so knife handles more toward point. You may consider making a template next time for a profile and layout as challenging as this. Post more pics when done- you're on right track!

Last edited:
I concur with Ausbrooks on the higher level grind you have going here!
Bring things back a tad for a Ricassio and Drill Baby Drill! :biggrin:

You are on the right track and you will fine your way here,
I would pass on the Butt Spike for now and concentrate on making a fine cutting blade.
S30V is a B!#(% to finish! so lets focus on your Fit & Finish for a few!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Ok when you say move the handle line back for the ricasso, I need more direction to understand better what you are saying. I know ricasso is the non edged section between blade and handle but how would I move back. Please keep it coming I love the help.

Thank you to the mod that moved this because this is exactly what I am looking for. You guys are awesome thanks for the help

I think he means just move the handle line back to make the ricasso look bigger, longer. does that help at all?

What Franklin says is correct- I was recommending moving the handle line rearward-towards the butt end of knife- to leave room for a ricasso. Don't have to- it just looks like the plunge line is so close that by time you finish gind bevel it could be right up against the forward end of your handles. If you're careful not to move plunge line toward handles as you go you would be okay with that layout. Hope this helps- keep the questions comin'...

Ok yeah that is what I thought you where saying. I'm going to try to keep the plung line in the same position as now.

Back