Easy blade collar fabrication

One

Banned
An easy way to dress up a blade and make a nice transition into the guard in under an hour.

Notch
DSCN2692.jpg

Bend
DSCN2695.jpg

Solder
DSCN2699.jpg

Check fit
DSCN2700.jpg

Solder end in
DSCN2702.jpg

DSCN2705.jpg

Trim
DSCN2708.jpg

File and clean up
DSCN2713.jpg

DSCN2715.jpg

Tai - ain't it easy when you know how?
always wanted to say that - thanks for showing this way of doing the blade collar. Beats drilling and filing through a solid piece, especially if the tang is irregular sort of a pentagon shape or something.
kc

Your jewelry background lends itself to some very interesting fitting elements, Tai. Can we see the blade, pretty please? :D

Thank you for sharing, Tai, that does look a lot easier than filing a slot to the perfect shape. Looks like it's going to be another incredible blade, too.

I heard a knifemaker comment recently about Rustyboy's knives, "As your knifemaking matures, you're going to find that you want ricassos." I burst out laughing. Couldn't help it. Tai, that is a lovely atypical ricasso area.

Here's a couple shots that show how it'll fit up with the bronze gaurd and lock the collar in place.

DSCN2718.jpg

DSCN2721.jpg

Here's sort of where I'm going with it, basically, but it'll have a semi octagonal wood handle wrapped with Turks head knots and capped off with metal on the ends. I'm not a good enough drawer to draw that.

DSCN2724.jpg

Excellent information Mr. G. I look forward to trying it soon and also seeing a pic or 10 of your finished knife.

Back