Lighting Strike Carbon fiber and Green linen Micarta

Lerch

I finished this one up most of the way tonight, still needs a edge and a sheath but the hard part is done. here are the specs

1095 steel differentially hardened (clay quenched in parks 50 oil)
Convex grind 5.75" blade, 1/8" thick with a 1" finger rest in front of the guard
BossDogs Lighting strike carbon fiber handles with a OD green linen micarta base (to add thickness)
brass pins to match the copper wire in the carbon fiber.

this was my first try at a convex grind as well as a first try at doing a two layer handle material. I am pretty happy with results overall, the exposed finger guard is perhaps my only regret, its not as comfortable as one where the handle material flows onto the guard though it is still functional. I am happy with the grind and the gentle flow that it gives the blade. the blade is etched then polished to 1500 grit and polished up with Never Dull then buffed with Flitz. And yet again i need to work on my photo skills, any way here are the pics

Overall shot
twopartknife.jpg

twopartknifecloseup.jpg

BossDogs Lighting strike carbon fiber
twopartknife5.jpg

Close up of grind and Hamon
twopartknife4.jpg

well let me know what you think

thanks
steve

I ran one of my photos through a couple of filters to aid my poor pic taking skills, this looks a little bit better

twopartknife1.jpg

let me know what ya think,

thanks
steve

Nice work Lerch- Cool original design with handle swell and deep belly. I like that CF quite a bit and will make a good skinner or camp knife.

Thanks guys, if you see any recommendations for improvments please let me know

I just noticed the big smudge in the center of the blade in the first 3 pics, that will make ya made lol !!!!

With a professional photographer in my family you would think i would be better at taking pics

thanks
steve

Nice looking blade! I love and make Convex grinds often.
This one of yours has the look of a mini Kukuri!
I like it! If your exposed Guard is troublesome? Round in more of the CF on the Handle so that the radius fits the middle joint of the first/index finger. A small wheel on a belt Machine or 1/2 or 3/4" Sanding sleeve on a Foredom / Flex-shaft will do the job!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

thanks for the comments guys, sorry for my crappy pic taking skills, i gotta get to work on that

I have been working on this design of knife and trying a few different variations to see what i liked. I decided to try a deeper belly on this one and a friend of mine decided her fiance needed this one for a Christmas present. I have a few other variations of this design that should be getting finished in the next few days, we will see what yall think of them

thanks
steve

Very nice looking knife. I like the handle material. I would have liked to have seen a top view to get a look at the combo of handle material. I like the blade design as well. I can see this one getting a lot of use. Very nice job.

As for the pictures...they arent that bad. I find it interesting how many skill sets are involved in knife making from beginning to end.

Eric

Thank ya,

I will try to get a pic of the handle combo for ya this weekend, i think some photos on a overcast day outside would yield better results than the pics im getting inside. I have a good camera for the photos but I dont think i am using the right lenses or something

glad ya like the knife!!

steve

Back