One I just finished for a buddy of mine

Lerch

Finished this one for a friend who though he doesnt hunt does take me and another guy on a weekend hunting/camping trip every year. Ive take a couple of good bucks off his land and since he owns land in about the only actual mountains in OK it makes for a great place to go sleep under the stars. I made this for him as a way to say thanks

Its 1095 steel differentially heat treated for 5 min at 1450deg, cryo treated and triple tempered at 400deg
the handle is black linen micarta and a elk antler accent partition. this was my first time working with antler so i wanted to keep it simple with a small piece, i found this on a shed in WY on a elk hunt this year

this is the blade that i got the odd temper lines with that i asked a question about in the "new to knife making" forum. though the hamon was not what i intended i still saw it as functional and knowing my buddy i figured he would like it.

i am not happy with the pics, i need to rig up some kind of light box or something, these were taken inside my kitchen and kind of a harsh lighting. i dont think it does the knife justice but here we go anyway lol, let me know what ya think

Adamsknife.jpg

adamsknife2.jpg

let me know what ya think and where you think i need to improve.

thanks
steve

Last edited:
Hi,
Nice Knife, The grind lines are a tad wavy, The way I fix that after 15 years of this is to Not have one!
Yep! I take the grind all the way to the top! :biggrin:

This actually makes for a more efficient knife because there is no resistance to the cut.

It's really pretty cool otherwise, One thing to add is a Lanyard hole. You want one on a field/Hunting Knife!

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com

ya I noticed the wave myself, this is actually the last knife i have done on a hollow grind, the ones i am finishing now are on a convex grind thus avoiding the issue. I will have to try taking a hollow grind all the way to the top of the spine some time, would it be hard on a 8" wheel or would a 10" work better??

LOL on the laynard hole, the buddy i am making it for i am pretty sure he is going to want one and i forgot to do it lol. well he cant complain to much on a free knife right lol. after 20yrs of hunting i have never needed a laynard hole on a knife but i know most everyone wants one, i have included one on most every knife i make and just let it slip past on this one

glad you like it , thanks

steve

I like it Steve, the grind line isnt and issue for me because it seems to flow like the curve of the rest of the knife. I guess it depends on the look your going for.
You continue to produce consistant good looking knives. Keep up the good work.

Eric

The knife does have a nice flow to it. I am sure you friend will enjoy putting it to good use!!! Keep em coming

thanks for the kind words guys!

ya the buddy of mine liked it, i am sure he will put it to good use as he opens about 30 boxes a day or more checking in our stores inventory. I have a couple of convex ground knives that should get finished up this week so hopefully they will look a little better

thanks

steve

Back