My Best To Date

DonL

Finished this one up today for the Newbie KITH on BF. It's either my 9th or 10th knife (lost count or lost a knife somewhere...lol) I have to say, it's been a learning experience. A lot of frustration, but on the other hand I had a lot of fun doing it. My first attempt at this knife ended when the blade warped after HT and I couldn't get it back good enough to suit me. It was also a little twisted.

This is the first time I've tried a bolster. Took two attempts to get it done. First time I've tried piecing together different materials for a knife handle. I didn't know how to do it and I couldn't find any tutorials, so I just winged it. Hope I did it right!

The steel is Aldo's 1084 in 3/16ths. The blade is about 4 1/4" from the tip to the plunge. Overall, it's about 10 inches long. The bolsters are black micarta with a copper spacer and stabilized spalted maple scales. There's a 1/8 black g-10 liner holding it all on. A 1/4" copper pin in the bolster with 1/8" brass pins in the scales. There's basic file work on the spine. I gave the blade a slight taper to the tip.

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2048-1.jpg

DSCN2058.jpg

Critiques good or bad welcomed!

Back