Frontier Patch Knife

I like it. Though I have to admit I didnt to expect a knife called frontier patch knife to be made from 440.

Nice knife, ...and I thought the same about 440 so I done a little research;
In 1821 a Frenchman named Berthier found that iron when alloyed with chromium was resistant to some acids. Others studied the effects of chromium in an iron matrix, but using a low percentage of chromium. To be stainless steel, the chromium content needs to be at least 10.5%. In 1872, Messrs. Woods and Clark applied for a British patent for what they identified as an acid and weather resistant alloy containing 30 to 35% chromium and 1.5 to 2% tungsten.
Although 440 didn't come along until 1905, stainless was a known alloy during the muzzle-loading years and would have made a nice patch cutter....

I have had problems with rust under the hemp wrapping on the handle of other knives I have made like this. I cannot figure out a way to seal the hemp to keep out moisture . That is the reason I used the 440 for the blade. If someone else knows a way to seal the hemp against moisture please let me know. Thanks

I have had problems with rust under the hemp wrapping on the handle of other knives I have made like this. I cannot figure out a way to seal the hemp to keep out moisture . That is the reason I used the 440 for the blade. If someone else knows a way to seal the hemp against moisture please let me know. Thanks

Well with my limited experience in working with hemp rope, I use to use the other kind years ago! Anyways!
Have you tried using thin penetrating Super Glue? It works well on silk Leather & 880 Paracord wrap!

There is Thick and Thin Super Glue, I try to keep both around the shop for things like this. Most of the knife supply houses will have them.

Hope this helps.
Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

P.S. I like the knife in 440C it would have been for the discriminating Trapper!

I dip the entire handle in shellac and hang it in the sunshine but VooDoo is using fiberglass epoxy on his tactical cra......stuff and it does a good job. One of the guys at realjob uses thinned down alphatic resin (white glue) on his hemp handled deer skinners with good results.

Back