Cleaning up CPM154 blade issues

Txcwboy

I bought a Bulldog "kit" and down to cleaning up blade and grinding it. I started with 60 grit new belt and its not even phasing the factory mill scaling. This is the 2nd blade I got from USA and both are CPM154 and I cant clean them enough to finish the project. Is it the CPM154 ? or my belts ? I normally use AEBL and it cleans like butter. I dont have a surface grinder , just using flat platen on KMG. HELP ! HELP !!

thanks

Dave

It's the belts. CPM154 comes with a hard scale that is well over 60RC and you have to grind past that with at least a Zirc or harder (ceramic) belt. Once you get past the scale, you'll be fine..

The Norton Blaze belt will take care of it in a short time. For raw heavy grinding I start with the 24Grit then the 50Grit to the 120Grit, Those are all Ceramic. Norton now has a 220 Grit Ceramic but its hard to get, I received one as a test belt from the owner of Tru-Grit abrasive supply in Ontario Ca,

Great Belt, They will stock it soon!

Scale on steel like you' re describing got me to get the CPM steels already ground.
That scale has a funk Smell to it that I don't miss on my clothes at all!

Best of luck to ya!
Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com/

I normally get PG stuff but its not an option on these items. I ordered 2 blaze belts but lowest was 60 and other was an 80.

I only have a 2x42 and as far as I know, Norton doesn't make a blaze belt in that size. I recently got some CPM 154 in and started using a Klingspor CS411 (Alumina Zirconia) X weight belt in 60 and 80 grit. They did okay, but I could tell I was gonna be there a while. I then switched to a Norton SY965 Ceramic Alumina Y weight belts in 60, 80 and 120 grits. Now we were cooking with Peanut Oil!!! It was still a chore, but it went a lot faster than if I had only used the zirc belts.

I get my belts from TruGrit. Buy a few different types to see what works best for you.

I only have a 2x42 and as far as I know, Norton doesn't make a blaze belt in that size. I recently got some CPM 154 in and started using a Klingspor CS411 (Alumina Zirconia) X weight belt in 60 and 80 grit. They did okay, but I could tell I was gonna be there a while. I then switched to a Norton SY965 Ceramic Alumina Y weight belts in 60, 80 and 120 grits. Now we were cooking with Peanut Oil!!! It was still a chore, but it went a lot faster than if I had only used the zirc belts.

I get my belts from TruGrit. Buy a few different types to see what works best for you.

I like almost all of the Norton belts over 3M And any ceramic will work harder that A/O S/C belts.

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com

You may try soaking overnight in vinegar to soften the scale, I have good luck with it, still have to grind quite a bit but it goes better.

I only have a 2x42 and as far as I know, Norton doesn't make a blaze belt in that size..

I guess now they do! I just saw some on TruGrit's website and ordered a pair in 60 and 120 grit. Look forward to using them. From all I've heard, they should do well!

There is also a Belt called a Bubble Belt, I had forgotten about it until I read JDW's post about using vinegar.
Yep! The belt is from back in the day before there were Ceramic belts commercially available.

If you are interested in the bubble Belt? P.M. me and if I can find it, we can work something out!.

Good Luck to us all!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Back