A new hunting knife im gonna try to break this weekend

Lerch

This is a new one i made for my self this week. Its differentially heat treated 1095 and green canvas micarta. Blade design is a little different but it kind of reminded me of a kukuri i think there called, and a Fowler knife i had seen one time. Im gonna give it a try this weekend on a deer hunt in the Wichita Mts of OK. here is the pics , sorry there cell phone ones . i messed up on the fronts of the handles but like i said this is just a test knife so as long as the functionality was good to go i was happy. When i HT'd this one the temper lines ran down pretty close to the blade edge but there is still at least a little more than 1/8" of hardnened steel

let me know what ya think, i didnt finish this one great since this is just a test prototype.

380950_248744668513497_100001338979988_680556_588422052_n.jpg

387010_248744991846798_100001338979988_680557_51570059_n.jpg

thanks
steve

Last edited:
I like the way the knife flows, the blade has a nice belly to it, I dont know why, but I kind of like that.
If you arent able to break it, send it to me and I will see how many years of useful service I can squeeze out of it. I'll be sure to let you know.

Eric

I like the way the knife flows, the blade has a nice belly to it, I dont know why, but I kind of like that.
If you arent able to break it, send it to me and I will see how many years of useful service I can squeeze out of it. I'll be sure to let you know.

Eric
Thats what I am thinking. That belly is a skinners dream come true.

Good lookin' knife Lerch, hope you get to use it this weekend. Is this a Controlled hunt or you just getting ready for the traditional opener?

Well so far I missed a buck and web killed 2 hogs. The knife butchered both hogs and I finished off one hog with the blade. It's holding up great so far and very easy to sharpen in the field b

well im back from the hunt this weekend and the knife preformed great. All together we killed two hogs and one decent buck. the knife did 90% of the work on all 3 animals and i finished off one of the hogs with a heart stab. The knife held a edge very well and sharpened easily with a steel the landowner had. I like the overall shape of the blade but i will make a few changes, mainly im going to drop the tip of the blade down a bit and extend it maybe a half inch to make it a bit "pointier" . I really like the handle and once i get my bolsters on finger guards better i think i will be very happy with it.

I was very happy with the way the blade handled itself and damage it did when finishing off one of the injured hogs, i was very impressed (the hog was slightly less impressed lol)

i will post pics of the blade soon

thanks
steve

Back