Scavenger blade: bush tanto

Stormcrow

I've been busy lately but haven't put up many pics of what I've been doing. I feel like I'm falling behind! :)

This was one I made a while back. It's what I term a "scavenger blade", a stock removal blade that is made from a plow disk from my family's farm. The blade was cut from the disk, flattened out, the profile cleaned up, and then it was normalized multiple times to make sure it didn't try to return to its previous curved cross section. Then the bevels were ground in and it was heat treated.

The blade is 8" long and the overall length is 13 1/8", with a spine thickness of approximately 1/8". The handle has full-length leather slabs underneath a hemp cord wrap and a triple strand Turk's head knot in black cotton, all sealed with amber shellac. I think of this as a "bush tanto", though a couple of people have commented that they think it would make a good barbecue slicer. The texture on the blade comes from rust pitting on the plow disk from years of sitting under live oak leaves.

bushtanto.jpg

I tried to figure out how to get a stock removal wakizashi out of a plow disk but wasn't able to. :D

that is very nice. i am a big fan of tanto/kwaiken style knives and that one is very cool.

liontribe

I like the way you make extraordinary looking knives from ordinary objects. Got any ideas for a sheath?

Eric

Thank y'all!

Lagrange - It'd look great in something from Noah Legel, but I'm leaving that up to the new owner, whomever that may turn out to be. Leather is not in my skillset, but I could do Kydex...

Back