Inlay, dovetailing..etc?

Twinbalis

Hey guys, I am new to this whole area and I am doing research on different methods of accomplishing tasks I would like to do on upcoming knives I am planning on building.

I have seen knives, That have wood inlays, cleanly in the middle of the handles.
Also, on certain types, it looks as if the wood has been dovetailed into the metal.

I was wondering how this is done so cleanly?
The metal part looks like below, with the wood in between the slated metal edges. I am not sure if that is called dovetail but that is the only word I could think of.

/__________________\

Can you guys offer some info or a point in the right direction?
I am researching on my own but if you can help, it would be much appreciated.

Set up the table on the grinder to give you the angle that you want. Grind the angle into the appropiate edge of the bolster and end cap blocks. Use the grinder to cut the reciprical angle in the handle material. I would attach the bolster first, then the handle material and, lastly the end cap. You can use temporary pins to hold everthing in place if you want to shape everthing then take it appart for finishing before glueing up. You could also use perminant pins, glue everthing up in the rough condition, shape the pieces, then finish with everything in place.

Doug

A little bit of super glue around the edges helps. This will pop off with a good blow from a hard stick of wood.

what would be the best method for those who dont have a grinder. ( I have a grinder but it is a 10" contact wheel so not able to flat grind)

Back