01 differences?

firephil

what would be the difference in Jantz 01 with a composition of
C .95 Mn1.20 Si.30 Cr.50 Va.20 Mo.50
and
Flatground 01
C1.00 Mn1.20 Si.35 Cr.35 W.50 (?)
I am wondering what it all means as I am still learning the chemistry of it all. Thanks, Phil

and
Flatground 01
I am wondering what it all means as I am still learning the chemistry of it all. Thanks, Phil

Carbon, Molybdenum, Vanadium, Tungsten and Chromium are the five steel additives [alloys] that produce carbides when the steel is hardened. It is these five steel alloys that give a blade its cutting qualities. All the other alloying agents add to the steel in different ways. Manganese, in a large enough percentage will make the steel harden all the way through. Others make the steel more malleable or in the case of Cr. it makes the steel more resistant to rust; or if added in a large enough percentage [12 to 14] makes the steel stainless.

There is a great deal to learn about steel especially so for a knife maker. We all want to get the most we can out of the steels we use so it is therefor mandatory that we understand the materials we are working with.
There are some excellent stickies on this subject on the Bladeforums site; look at the top of the shoptalk forum.

Regards, Fred

Fred, I know the guy who wrote a lot of the stuff in those stickies:3:. While I am still not keen on regular posting, I am still a moderator here and would be happy to compose even better notes for here, where I would much more enjoy seeing them put to use. What topic would you like to see that sort of information on the most?
I will go back to silent mode and simply await any suggestions that anybody may have.

P.S. firephil, not to ingore you, I have worked with both of these chemistries, feel free to contact me via, e-mail or p.m. and I will be happy to chat about my experiences with them.

Kevin - please do share your knowledge by writing a couple of short pieces on heat treating and alloying. Many probably are not sure what specific question(s) to ask and are in need of general guidance. I can always use a well-written bit to keep me learning, and you are among the more well-versed in this area. It would be most appreciated if you are able to give a primer or something of that nature.
thanks,
Kevin

Hey - Everyone - Please let the rest of us know - ARE YOU INTERESTED IN Kevin Cashen (not me) pulling together a few PRIMER type posts on the basics of heat treating?
Things like
*HOW TO HEAT TREAT SIMPLE MEDIUM, MED HIGH, AND HIGH CARBON steels
*The EFFECTS OF ALLOYING ELEMENTS
* QUENCHING

I would personally love to see this written in simple terms and in one place. For those who don't know, Kevin has spent years STUDYING AND TESTING different aspects of heat treatment. He is a very artistic and talented smith/cutler, but he has also taken a combination of workman and scientist approach to learning this stuff. So, he is in a great position to provide the rest of us with insights that were gained from reading/studying but which have also been fairly rigorously-tested in the shop and in labs (and his own sort of hybrid shop-lab thingee his wife let him build).

Most of the time, people avoid posting if the answer to the question "Yeah, sure, me too!" or "I like that." It makes a forum become cluttered. But, we are trying to get Kevin to engage in a fairly tedious undertaking for our benefit. So, please REPLY just to say "PLEASE" or whatever. If there is interest, then maybe we can get him to take the time...

thanks,

Kevin Colwell (who has only met Kevin Cashen briefly at a couple of Ashokans...)

Last edited:
and
Flatground 01

I don't see vanadium in the Flatground specs. Vanadium helps to retard grain growth, and inhibits carbon from collecting in the grain boundaries. I don't buy 01 that does not list it in the specs.

I love reading Kevin's posts. He has helped me a lot with the H/T of several steels. Thanks again Kevin.

P. S.

If the ? was about the W, that stands for Wolfram which is the original term for Tungsten.

Last edited:
Back