Is Patriotism dead .. ?

Bill T

I posted yesterday about the wonderful Veterans Day ceremony we had here in White Plains ,NY .
Afterwards a friend and I went to a local pub to swap stories and knock back a few of my favorite Belgian beers .​
Now earlier , at the ceremony all those who served of course had some sort of identifing uniform or part of one . I wore my green beret there and for the rest of the day .​
At the ceremonies conclusion , those who served , spent some time making the rounds and thanked each other for their service . It is something , we as Veterans have done for some time now ...​
Family members of those attending did the same , they thanked us . It truly meant a lot , because they meant it ..​

Fast forward to later at the pub ...​
I've lived here most of my life , so I knew a great many of the people there ..​
All my friends know I was in the Military , they know how much of my life revolves around it ..​
Yet as I sat there with my friends , still wearing my beret - proudly , I realised I was the only Veteran in the place ... 1 of 100 ...​
No one acknowledged or cared about it .. even when they realised it was Veterans day , did anyone do what we as fellow Vets and their families would do ..​
I know it has alot to do with locale .. the North isn't known for it's love of country like the South or the Midwest ...I look at our Mil Builds , only a few from the North , most from South and the Midwest ..​
Now I didn't go there thinking I was going to have people buying me drinks (*)or lifting me on their shoulders and carry me to the steets at the front of a parade .​
But it saddened me completely ...​

I know patriotism isn't truly dead , but up here where I live , he's MIA ...​
Thanks for letting me rant .. Next year , I think I'll go to Kentucky and visit Denny for Veterans day ..​

* I drink Corsendonk , $16 a bottle , my friends are too cheap ..​

Sometimes I also think that !! But, she is alive and well . you just have to be around the right folks ... Bubba

The world is filled with Godless Commie Swine who don't give two hoots in Hell about the people who gave them the freedom to be Godless Commie Swine. There are, however, true patriots who haunt the hallowed halls of Knife Dogs and I am proud to be among them. The men who I have met here are not yellow but truly Red, White and Blue. I highly recommend that you only drink Belgian beer with Knife Dogs from now on. Or give it to me and I'll drink it.

Back