Mosaic pins???

the sturgeon general

Quik Question. Are mosaic pins meant to hold scales on, or purely for looks? If they are meant to hold the scales on, how do you fasten them?

Respectfully
Bill Dirk

Yes, mosaic pins do hold the scales on by protecting the glue joint between the scales and the tang from shearing forces. You can't pean them or you will distort the pattern. What I do is rough them up with some coarse sand paper and glue them in with epoxy. Some use super glue but that doesn't give you much working time.

Doug

Yeah I have made that mistake of peening them, even lightly it still messed them up. Im reluctant to try them now. But I will give the roughing them up a try. Thanks Doug, I appreciate it.

Respectfully
Bill Dirk

I have also recently discovered mosaic's and was'nt sure if I should trust them, but with a good epoxy and proper prep your handle scales will be well secured with the combination and mosaic's are an attractive handle accent! I peened my handle scales for awhile but have come to the conclusion (with only short term results to draw from, and advice from several others here) that peening is a bad idea. There are alternatives that allow you to have a mechanical connection, I want to call them "Loveless bolts" but not sure if that is correct. Basically it is a bolt in the form of a pin and after it is installed you remove the screwdriver slot to leave what looks like a plain pin! I believe mid - west carries them! Hope this helps!

There are a couple of bolts like that, Loveless bolts are just one. Corby bolts and acorn screws are others.

Doug

Indeed, I like the Loveless style bolts and corby's as I reckon the are pretty much a sure deal when applied.
Thanks for the feedback guys

Bill

Back