Rc Recommendation for Kitchen & Hunter Knives...

DonL

I'm about ready to send out my first batch of Kitchen knives made from CPM 154 (1/8 thick and .177 thick). I was wondering what hardness I should ask for? I was thinking 60-62 but wanted to get recommendations from people who actually make real kitchen knives!

Also, I'm sending out some 0-1 because I don't have time to do it. These are Hunter designs (5/32) and I was wondering what hardness you'd ask for on these. My guess would be 58-60?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Don, the intended use of the knife should be your guide for a target HRC. If its going to a fellow knife nut, then anything from 60-63 HRC is a good starting point. If the knife is going to a run of the mill user... (anyone not on knifeforums, Kitchenknife forums, etc) then you'd want something from 56-59 since most regular knife users would chip a higher HRC blade in matter of minutes. lol

Hmmm? I send my Blades, 440C, 154Cm, S30v & S35VN to Paul Bos Heat treat at buck Knives.
www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=bio.paulBos

I have friends with a Paragon furnace and a vat of liquid Nitrogen, ETC..
They have 1/2 Million Plus in Heat treat equipment on premises at Buck and the knowledge to use it.
Paul Bos has retired but another Paul that he trained runs it now. There are No better People to handle
MY Stainless Steel Blades. Buck also does the tool steels like D-2 & O-1 etc...
Years ago when Paul Bos was in El Cajon Ca, I asked him this very question and he said "No Harder than 57-59Rc"
That 58 is what your after so it has a taste of forgiveness for Culinary Cutlery.
Call the current Gentleman there, Paul, Both of them, have always taken the time to answer any of my questions and concerns and that's why for 15 years I send all of my Stainless there. The Carbon steels make much more sense to do at home.

Good Luck and welcome to knife making!

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com

Last edited:
Back