my first pretty knife

Lerch

hi guys

well after having a heck of a time with bolsters and a few other problems i finally got some stuff figured out and got this one done. this is what i guess is called a "bird and trout" model knife, CPM154cm 1/8" steel with brass bolsters, iron wood handles and mosaic pins. this is my first time to try bolsters and wood handles so overall im pretty happy. it has a few things wrong with it, mainly where the pins are located, im not sure if i spaced them correctly, and the pins in the bolsters. I have had a horrible time figuring out how to work with pinned bolsters but thanks to Mike Miller and HHH Knives i was able to figure it out finally, THANKS GUYS!!!! i actually sanded down the ends of the pins a bit to much so they show a little on the inner taper of the finger grove but i chalk it up to a learning experince. also the locations where i drilled the bolster pin holes were not well thought out, but again it is a learning experince. overall im pretty happy with her, sorry for the crappy pic, my good camera is down for a bit so i had to use the Iphone. let me know what you think and where i need work

birdandtroutfirsttry.jpg

thanks
steve

I like it Steve. It's a bit difficult to offer my opinions based on one picture and because I have not done a bolster yet. But I think you know better than anyone what you want to improve on. You have already outlined what you think are shortcomings.
You and I see examples of what we consider perfection all the time. Our goal is to achieve that level of competence when we build a knife. It's natural that it takes time and experience to bring our game up. With time, patience and fortitude we will get there. You already make some pretty nice knives. I'm gonna take my hat off to you for showing us a piece that you feel is not up to par and ask for constructive criticism. That is a display of desire and a true love of the craft.
At any rate, I still think you did a good job.

Eric

That's a great looking knife. Remember, we can find our mistakes a whole lot easier than others can. I might be able to see something that could be done a little better if I could acturally hold it in my hand but, from here, you did remarkably well.

Doug

thanks guys,

ya after i started making a few i very quickly began to notice minor faults on knives that i would have never noticed before. the knife has a few mistakes but everyone i can find I have learned something from and most of them were do to just not being prepared or knowledgeable enough at the time. I cant wait to try another one, i got 2 more i am going to work on this weekend a little bit, just gotta take a little off on sunday to go see the guys at the Wannamacher show!!!

thanks
steve

Thank you sir! It was nice to meet ya today Bill, i meant to bring this knife along with me today to show you and Mike Miller and to get some criticism of it, but of course i didnt remember it lol !!

thanks
steve

looks good. I'm gearing up to try my first bolster. I might go with micarta or G10 for my first try tho.

The difference between craftsmanship and perfectionism is tolerance. Work within the tolerances and continue to strive toward the perfect. Most of what you find fault with is in the planning stage and easily improved in your next project. As you progress there will come a time (if you wish to be a master craftsman) where you will need to pick one design and make many copies this will smooth out your shop habits and practices. At that point it is more work than art but the skill learned is well worth the effort. Stay on the path you are going in the right dirrection.

Nice knife and nice to see some Okies posting. I live in Tuttle, not too far from you and just getting started making knives.

Back