Spike Warhawk

Church & Son

I put this one together over the last few nights. The head is over 100 yr. old plow tip.
All that pitting is nature not mine. 7″ across with 2 1/2″ chopping edge. Hacksawed, hot cut,
forged on charcoal and quenched in water. Threw the haft held on with pine pitch and rawhide.
The haft was a Sweet Gum branch , drawfiled, oiled, toasted, scraped and waxed. No dye.
Rawhide wrap from some of my deer hide. A little fringe, beads and a hand rolled “snuff can tinkler” because I could.
I love the way the handle fits my hand on this one……Randy

spike1.jpg

spike3.jpg

spike4.jpg

spike5.jpg

spike6.jpg

spike7.jpg

AND, I had an e-mail asking about my pics and the setup of my “photo light box”
…trunk of a Geo…..Randy

spike8.jpg

And I really don't say this enough, LARGE thanks to Mr. John Cohea for resurrecting this great old style of 'hawk,
they are a ton of fun to make......

Randy, Randy, Randy,
WOW is what comes to my mind. WOW is defined as a sensational success you have definately created a WOW. :biggrin: Wade

Last edited:
The hawk looks great. Cool shape to the head. That antler ain't to shabby either. Is that a shed you picked up around the house?

Thanks Wade, I like WOW. and sensations....... any new creations from the soggy bottom?

Thanks Brother Grafton. It's a shed one of the guys from realjob brought me. It's a nice'un...afraid to cut it....
Do you recognize the hairy hide?......

Thanks Jonathon. There is some at the zoo I'd like to have.....

Absolutely fantastic-- I want one!!!!!!! Love all the textures and the natural flow of the piece for sure. Great composition and craftsmanship.

Absolutely timeless....love the shape!
I also think the display you set up was excellent!

Eric

Back