Rookie blade finish question

Cojab

Sorry if this is a real basic question and I've been looking on the different forums for info on this but not finding it. One of the finishes I am intersted in trying is the dark steel finish on a blade like what is on a K-BAR. What exactly is this finish and what is the process for getting this.

Thanks for the reply Rudy. That looks about like what I'm talking about. I know I've sent in some very beginner questions (with more to follow) and I want everyone to know I appreciate the time they take to read them and answer them.
I'm reading as much as I can about this whole process but as I read I realize theres so much more to this than grinding down a little metal. Cant wait to get started though!

You could also take a look at a rust blue finish as well. I've done a couple of blades with the rust blue and really like it and it it pretty durable.

Glad to help Cojab.
If you're just starting out, start with a clean slate and concentrate on the basics only. You/I can't possibly know everything all at once. If you make the basics second nature, any new info won't tend to overwhelm you. Too many people try to absorb every possible piece of info at once and can't put it to practical application. Start simple and practice, practice,practice. Anyway, we help any way we can.

Rudy

you might look into CeraKote finishes. Its a baked on paint finish that is pretty durable. we use it on a lot of rifles and outside of the area directly following a muzzle brake where gases at supersonic speeds hit it i have not seen it chip much yet. I believe it is a low temp bake, around 150deg so you may be able to do it with the handles on the blade, not sure what it would do to epoxy though? it has been something i have been thinking about doing myself

steve

My USMC Kabar is all chipped to hell. The Finish, not the Blade.

If you got that blade the hard way you will still appreciate the rugged abilty of those Ka-Bars! I still have (whats left) mine. My kids were using mine to feed the livestock we once raise, while out giving hay they dropped it...somewhere, fastforward about 6 years, animals all gone and now I'm mowing what was once pasture, and what do I find? A TREASURE!! My old Ka-Bar, it is rusted a good bit, but still servicable, the leather washer handle was toast, rottted off. I took it apart and plan on redoing it completely, I want to attempt to pull a hamon on the blade if it's possible, then replace the handle with something a little fancier, I've never seen a Marine Ka-Bar in Dress Blues! I'm thinking something like that might be super cool, with a much better guard, I want to incorporate the guard and pommel in the new build somehow, the pommel I can use, the guard is not so easy since it's so flimsy and I want something a bit tougher. We'll see what happens once I get it going, too many irons in the fire right now, but I do keep looking at it everyday I'm in the shop!
As far as your finish, I'd say go with the Ceracoat, it's probably the closer of the original finish, but get it done in flat or satin, a black Ka-Bar should NOT shine! Semper Fi, Rex

BTW,There was also someone on here that was providing a service to do custom coating on knife blades a while back, I looked at his stuff and it is awesome, I think he even gives a guarantee, but don't quote me on that, maybe someone can remember who he was.

Back