You guys that make knives full time..What did you do in a previous profession?

J S Machine

I know that many of the "full time" makers are retired, but then I know there are many who are not. I am only 27, but I have worked 7 years now for a company. I often think about what it would take to get away from from the profession that I'm in. I read a article the other day about billionaires and the habits they have. One of the habits that stuck out was "find something you love to do, and could do for at least 10 years. That's what you should be doing for a living".

Now, Lord knows we are never gonna be billionaires in this hobby. I also know that is a broad statement above. It just stuck out to me nbecause I believe that there is alot of truth in it.

I've been very artistic and good with my hands since I was a child, and I love the hobby of making knives and anything out of metal really. I have a mechanical mind and it is always coming up with something. I love my day job, but there is that part of me that doesn't like being instructed on what to do by someone else, and also the realization that "I will never become successful working for someone else."

I often wonder about other people that have been in my shoes. What did you do before you took up the profession of making knives? I want to hear from the people who do it full time, or the people who do it as a major part of their income.

I was/am a carpenter by trade. Might be again one day:)
Knifemaking is a month to month profession for me, I can never take for granted that it will cover my bills in any given month and I do end up looking for side work here and there to fill in.

Now, just to preface the following: I am not a full time maker, and I think at the moment I'd barely even qualify for part time... hahah
That being said, I'll offer a little insight based on what I've picked up from other full time makers....

First, as far as the billionaires go, I'd say it's probably pretty easy to enjoy ANYTHING that will make you a billionaire within 10 years. hahah The problem is, you usually have to be born into it, or become very lucky. If I had a billion dollars, I'd probably be able to do anything I wanted too. ;)

Now as far as what it would take to become a full time knife maker, I've found that most full time makers you will talk to meet AT LEAST one, if not two or more of the following criteria:

1. Very little to no debt (house and vehicles paid off, tools paid for, etc...)
2. Significant other makes enough to pay any bills they DO have
3. Retired/pension/other source of steady income
4. Have already done years of legwork/marketing to get name out there/build an extensive backlog

You will probably need to be prepared to work 50+ hours per week in the shop, go to dozens of knife/gun shows per year, not to mention warranty work and dozens of other things that you're NOT getting paid for.

Another thing I've heard other makers say is that much of their money is made from quantity more than quality. Not that the quality is bad, I'm just saying that you'll sell more $100 knives than you will $500 knives.

Then you have to consider EVERYTHING that costs you something, including time: tools, materials, consumables, booth and table fees, shop rental fees, advertising fees, etc...

A lot of the full time guys are also getting a portion of income from other avenues: tools, dvds, classes, patents and designs (which also cost a lot of money), etc...
Maybe they offer sharpening and heat treating services, machining and fabrication services, retailing supplies and materials, and so on.

Food for thought I suppose....

I don't claim to be working full time meaning needing to bring in support money every month but I do know this. Just start having some financial problems month to month and see how hard that becomes on your wife and your life. Frank

Being a knife maker full time and depending on it for your only income could ruine your marriage . The stress from no income to cover bills or even put food on the table could be a chore. I am just a hobby maker and have been doing it near 4 years . I cant see getting rich from this even high end makers have something to fall back on if things go south. In my opinion it taskes a special type of person to be successful at being a full time custom knife maker. Once your clientel is built up it becomes much easier but to get to that level in marketing and making takes alot of time and effort. My hat is off to you full time makers . kellyw

I'm not a full time maker either, heck, I'm not even a part time maker! I"m a "whenever I can get a free minute alone in the Garage" maker. But I have started several businesses in the past based on hobbies I liked. Now, I do not really enjoy any of those things the way I used to. When you turn a hobby into a business, you may be passionate about it, but once you decide to earn a living from it, then things change. It's no longer take your time and work the way you want. Feeling bad when you wake up? Oh well, knives have to be made. Really cold in the shop and you feel like sitting inside and watching TV while drinking your favorite hot (or cold) beverage? Too bad, gotta go make knives (or whatever your hobby is).

I admit, for me "having" to do it day in and day out really took all the fun out of it. One of the businesses I started was a home inspection business. I had a background in construction and I loved piddling around old homes, so I figured this was a natural procession. But I'm not one who can take things slow. I have to go all out or nothing. I built my business up to the point I had 4 guys working under me and had a full time call center (after nearly causing my Wife to have a nervous wreck trying to keep up with the books and phones every day). I worked 6 to 7 days a week and always felt pressure to keep bringing in work for my guys and going all out for your Clients. It took a huge toll on my family and eventually, a competitor offered to buy me out so I let them. Funny thing, all the little illnesses I'd had, from regular indigestion, headaches and a plethora of other little "ills" went away after a few months of taking it easy. I guess the stress of the whole thing was taking it's toll and I never realized it until I walked away.

I still piddle around an old home (mine), but I just don't enjoy DIY stuff as much as I used to. I'm determined NOT to let this happen to my knifemaking hobby. That's why I refuse to even entertain the thought of becoming a full timer or a part timer!!!

Luckily, way back in the late 90's I taught myself to build websites and I especially liked the marketing end of small business. Once I sold my home inspection business, I then turned full time to building my own network of sites selling wares, services and info on the Internet as an Affiliate Marketer. Even that got old after a while and I've cut back to try and keep it enjoyable! You can run your business or it can run you. Take it from me, don't let it run you!

If I were you, I'd keep the day job and make knives part time to get started. You could take the income from your knife making and add it up each month to see how you'd do if knife making was your only income. Don't forget to count in the expenses, like buying steel, handle material, all the odd and end stuff you don't normally think about such as epoxy, sandpaper, drill bits, belts and misc. tools. And count your utilities as well. This will give you some idea of what you'll need to bring in to make it as a full timer.

Good luck to you which ever road you decide to take!

This is a great thread, I'm of the group of will make knives when I can make knives, BUT, I'm more of the artistic type, I have to be totally sold on what I'm working on at the time. 100% of the particular knife I'm working on has to be what I want it to be, NOT what someone else thinks it should be, I'm not saying I
can't take critical opinions or use others ideas if I can see the benefit and the
function. For me, the reward, at least part of it, comes upon completion.
If it is one that I am so in love with I don't want to sell it, then I know that I've done good....except for the wanting to keep it part.

I think the possibilities of any knifemaker going full time is made more possible when 2 or more makers combines efforts, I've thought about it for a long time, my idea is that the makers involved would have different talents. That compliment each other. While one maker is good at HTing the other might bring better marketing skills to the table. Add to that, where one is more of a precision maker,
the other is an experienced forger, the 2 styles should compliment the other if
both makers will work together and bring the talents into one piece of work.

The biggest benefit is that all expenses are shared, which helps both makers able to afford materials and in time able to afford more equipment to be able to increase production and lower prices of the knives they sell.

It's pretty obvious that I've thought this out to "n'th degree'', I just have to find someone that would like to build a partnership. I'm not saying it will be easy, or even successful without some sacrifice and a lot of work and of course everything else that's required to make something like this a success. I have so many ideas that I would be typing forever. So I'll just stop here, and say that the possibilities would be endless with the right partnership, the possibility of going full time would be dependent on each partner controlling their personal finances. The reason I bring that up is because of the things I've seen happen where my wife
works, and the fact that we're building a house, which puts me in a position all
my own.

Just my couple of cents! Rex

I was a bus driver for DHL. They left our town, I had a good following and no jobs to be had around here, so I took the plunge. But I had help. God first, Then a 60 minutes episode that I was on put me over in a big way! Still just making ends meet, but happy as can be.
GOD BLESS!!
Michael

This is a great thread, I'm of the group of will make knives when I can make knives, BUT, I'm more of the artistic type, I have to be totally sold on what I'm working on at the time. 100% of the particular knife I'm working on has to be what I want it to be, NOT what someone else thinks it should be, I'm not saying I
can't take critical opinions or use others ideas if I can see the benefit and the
function. For me, the reward, at least part of it, comes upon completion.
If it is one that I am so in love with I don't want to sell it, then I know that I've done good....except for the wanting to keep it part.

I think the possibilities of any knifemaker going full time is made more possible when 2 or more makers combines efforts, I've thought about it for a long time, my idea is that the makers involved would have different talents. That compliment each other. While one maker is good at HTing the other might bring better marketing skills to the table. Add to that, where one is more of a precision maker,
the other is an experienced forger, the 2 styles should compliment the other if
both makers will work together and bring the talents into one piece of work.

The biggest benefit is that all expenses are shared, which helps both makers able to afford materials and in time able to afford more equipment to be able to increase production and lower prices of the knives they sell.

It's pretty obvious that I've thought this out to "n'th degree'', I just have to find someone that would like to build a partnership. I'm not saying it will be easy, or even successful without some sacrifice and a lot of work and of course everything else that's required to make something like this a success. I have so many ideas that I would be typing forever. So I'll just stop here, and say that the possibilities would be endless with the right partnership, the possibility of going full time would be dependent on each partner controlling their personal finances. The reason I bring that up is because of the things I've seen happen where my wife
works, and the fact that we're building a house, which puts me in a position all
my own.

Just my couple of cents! Rex

Some good points. There are some very successful "multi-maker" knife companies out there. Blind Horse Knives pops into my head first and formost. They don't really take custom orders so much as they design knives that they like, and then make hundreds of them. They also seem to have a very good marketing plan and do monthly specials that consistently sell out. Of course, they also have some fairly big names standing behind their products as well.

If you can make a partnership work, it can often be so much more successful than a sole proprietorship. Unfortunately, the failure rate starting out is very high. Choose your partner(s) very wisely and have a very well laid business plan.

Andrew that makes me remember about a friend who I beilived to be a very smart man . He ran a successful sporting goods store for over 20 years and then decided to buy a fishing camp he had a partner and shook his hand and the buisness began . Little did my friend know that his partner was a previous imbezler and took him for everything he was worth on a simple hand shake. Any buisness deal needs a full written contract keep this in mind or you could loose it all. Rex a partner in this knife making could be so benifitial for both partys a person who knows forgeing and a maker that uses stock removal . They would sure help each other out and learn alot from one another. We dont have anyone around here that even makes knives so im up the creek in that respect. Kellyw

My last regular job was serving about 10 years as technical operations manager for small technology company. I made pretty good money but became increasingly miserable in the job. I finally decided life was too short to spend so much of it being miserable and decided to do something I liked for a change. I make less money but enjoy what I do every day a whole lot more. I still have other sidelines that bring in a little money but making knives is my main interest.

It is a tough way to make a living. There are a handful of makers who get pretty big prices for their knives and can make a decent living at it. Otherwise, you need to crank out a LOT of knives at resonable prices. I like the creativity involved and would rather make something new every time instead making xx of model 123 this week. After eight years, I have built a reputation and something of a following. I have a few collectors who keep me busy and I usually have a backlog of work.

One thing you do have to consider in full-time knifemaking is that you will be competing with a lot of part-time hobby makers. There are a lot of very good knifemakers out there who do it for fun rather than need of income. They often sell their knives at very low prices. It can make it tough on someone who is trying to realize a decent profit on a knife when another guy is selling an equal knife at virtually no profit because he doesn't need the money.

I was in the Marines for 10 years before this. I got a job doing about the same kinda work when I got out. I lasted about 6 weeks.... I put in my notice and started grinding knives.

Never looked back once. I would make a terrible employee.... I hate to be addressed with imperative sentences! :)

Full time since 2008

Hi everyone!! I still on my old job beside knifemaking ,I give myself a year and if God see good to bless it my plan is to start a knife shop with sharpening service (rather common here in Spain) and use part of the workshop to build my own knifes so I can sell Opinel, Moras etc etc to those with small budget and also promote my own work (beside internet) to those who have more to spend, will see, at the moment lots of hope and prayers

I was in the Marines for 10 years before this. I got a job doing about the same kinda work when I got out. I lasted about 6 weeks.... I put in my notice and started grinding knives.

Never looked back once. I would make a terrible employee.... I hate to be addressed with imperative sentences! :)

Full time since 2008

I am with George here on the employee thing!

I am a Full Time Knifemaker & Sharpener and own a return Cutlery center that My bride & I opened this last Sept.

Been making knives for over 15 years now and haven't looked back!
In my previous incarnations I was in advertising , Sales & Marketing. All of this knowledge that I gained in those years still applies today to my Knifemaking and Cutlery shop.

the other reason I enjoy Knifemaking is I have always been a bit of a loner and was happy about it.
Nothing better than working away making/designing etc Knives with my doggie as a work partner!

I'm not anti social. I just can only handle so much "People" sometimes!

My doggies have always been my best counsel and Biz Partners!!

Lots of great points here from you guys.

Glad I joined up here.

Laurence
rhinoknives

Hello. My name is Bruce and I'm a knifeaholic. Been one for over 20 years and will probally always be one. I had a failed motorcycle shop after only 3 years so I went home and hid out for a couple years making knives. Its hard to be a business for the public and pay employees and taxes and all the other bills that come in. I actually blame knife making for losing interest in motorcyles. I could only think of knives while at work on bikes. I used to only think of bikes. I took a prison supervisor job part time but hated that. Firing me was the best thing they did because I got to draw unemployment and go to college to learn computers. Thats why I'm on here everyday talking with you fine dogs. As soon as they quit paying for my classes I went back to making knives and have been here since.

This little knife business is just me and my dogs usually. There are some regulars that come by to shoot the breeze and help me lift something or remodel the house or add to the shop. I trade knife lessons for their expert trades and that works out good. Its about the most peaceful place on earth right here on our own property. I could always go back to repairing Japanese motorcycles I figure but now after 12 years out of the technology loop I'd have trouble doing the technical work and be in the tire and shock corner for the rest of my life. Making knives and an occasional muzzleloading gun seems like such a better job.

Last edited:
I was a bus driver for DHL. They left our town, I had a good following and no jobs to be had around here, so I took the plunge. But I had help. God first, Then a 60 minutes episode that I was on put me over in a big way! Still just making ends meet, but happy as can be.
GOD BLESS!!
Michael

Michael,
I remember that 60 minutes episode.
It looked like you were making a Bob Loveless type, Drop Point Hunter.

I was thinking that the national & international exposure

should rocket you into the knife maker scene.

Best of luck to ya!

Laurence

I was a computer tech living way up in northern Canada. While doing that I started making knives part time, I think it was 2001 when I started playing around with knifemaking. When we finally moved across the country in 2009 I shifted to making knives full time.

Key things that helped me go full time were:
1. Our move meant that we could live debt free
2. I had a good orders list to get started
3. We moved to a location that made going to trade shows more economical

My wife takes the odd contract but for the most part knifemaking is our main source of income. Things are definitely tight financially but being self employed and working from home means my time is my own and like you said I get to do something that I love to do.

There are times that I think about going out and finding a job but so far I haven't had to.

Sean

I use to work in the Glass industry, I was what is known as a Glaser. Basically a fancy make for a guy who works with glass, I specialized in commercial store fronts and high end custom mirror walls and shower enclosures.. Then after a messy divorce and a move, I started working doing Auto glass replacement. and did that for about 5 or 6 years. till I fell on the ice and injured my back. Long and the short of it, The doctors said I couldnt return to doing glass without getting a surgery. Which I was not going to do. So after 3 or 4 doctors I found one that agreed that we should try another option rather then going under the knife.. So a bunch of Physical Therapy later.. And Thank God.. My back is still much better..

At the time I was drinking in excess. to the point where it had become detrimental to having a "normal" life.. Between the drinking and the pain pills from the back injury . I was a MESS!

One day I was on my way to the beer store. I went off the road and hit a rather large tree head on at about 50 mph.. That day was the end of my drinking and the beginning of everything good . Including Knife making. For whatever reason God reached down and put his hand on my shoulder and kept me from being killed in the accident. I mean the car was totaled and the impact was so fierce the motor came through the firewall and floor and was inside the car between the 2 front seats. CRAZY to see that much damage and I walked away virtually unharmed.

I have not had a drink since. and this knife making has been something that keeps my mind and hands occupied. Im totally nuts about it and I thank God, for giving me this obsession and passion for knives. Its helped to keep me sane and sober! 8 years and counting! :D

God Bless YA
Randy

Back