Threaded bolts for handles?

SYD32

I have seen so many people using torx and allen head bolts to attache handles on fixed blade knives. How do you do it? Do you thread the holes in the tang of the knife before heat treat and then grind the bolts down so they are long enough to "bite" but leave enough room for the bolt on the other side of the tang? If anyone has some pictures or could explain this to me I would be grateful!

Thanks in advance.

The tang is generally too thin to thread and accept a bolt from each side so most people including myself buy "stand offs" and drill the tang the same size and slide them through. A stand off is a threaded barrel that is plenty long enough for both screws and can be shortened if needed. The back side of the handle scales need to be counter bored deep enough for them and the front side of the scales can also be counter bored to accept the screw. Sometimes people use flat heat screws and the scales will need to be counter sunk for them. Its all a bit tricky but if you practise on scrap first you'll quickly figure it out. You will need the proper counter bore drill bit or re-grind a regular drill bit for a flatter bottom. A drill press that has a good depth stop is a must.

Last edited:
I have seen so many people using torx and allen head bolts to attache handles on fixed blade knives. How do you do it? Do you thread the holes in the tang of the knife before heat treat and then grind the bolts down so they are long enough to "bite" but leave enough room for the bolt on the other side of the tang? If anyone has some pictures or could explain this to me I would be grateful!

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can do it this way and its pretty simple. The thinner the tang of the knife the smaller screw you will need to use to get enough threads for each screw.
This knife I make is done that way using 0-80 screws.

Back