Quasi-khopesh short bush sword

Stormcrow

I didn't have a khopesh in mind when I began this, but that's the closest existant pattern to what I ended up with. I like the timeless quality of this one; I could equally see it being weilded by Gilgamesh to hew down the cedars or in the hands of one of the "chig" aliens in Space: Above and Beyond.

Forged spring steel, integral socket handle, triple hardened in veggie oil, triple tempered. The back edge of the clip is fully sharpened. Handle wrapped in hmep with cottorn double Turk's head knots all sealed in black shellac. Blade is 12", overall length is 18 1/2".

khopesh2.jpg

hey - that looks nice. I am curious, what type of taper did you put on it? Does it have a traditional distal taper like a sword or reverse like a brush chopper, or none, like a machete?

Categories are too restricting anyway, that is a good blade no matter what is should be called.

kc

Dan - Nope, they're kind of long axes, not sickles. There was a pretty neat bronze one on Don Fogg's forum recently, and where mine has the clip, it curled up into a knob that could be used as a war mace.

Kevin - This one only has very slight taper, from the handle down to the middle of the blde, then thickening back up toward the clip, then again down to the point.

I just set out to make a good brush cutter, and this came out. Never had it in mind to make the back of the clip sharp when I started, either.

Back