2nd Annual Hammer and Folder In 4, 5 2012

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Announcing our 2nd Annual KnifeDogs Hammer and Folder

We have Jim Poling, ABS JS as forging instructor for this years event...

Returning instructors from our 1st event:
Keith Johnson
Les Voorhies
Roger Cook
Also Steve Janik will be teaching Kydex Sheath making

Dates:
Always the first weekend in August.
August 3, 4 and 5 2012

Friday August 3rd from 5pm to 10pm - Informal meet and greet at the shop. We sit around and tell stories and try to drink all the beer you bring.
Saturday August 4th 8:30 to 6pm - Full speed ahead
Sunday August 5th 9am to 1:30pm -

1350 Lake Street
North Mankato, MN 56003
phone: 507-720-6063
email: info.usakms@gmail.com

Cost:
$45 a head. $20 for any under 16 for the full event

$25 a head for one day. $15 for any under 16 for one day.

Bonus 15% discount:
Attendees will receive a 15% discount on all supplies purchased from Midwest Knifemakers Supply, llc while you attend.

Maximum head count:
40 people. Sorry, if we fill up, walk in's will be turned away due to limited space and equipment.
We will be using wrist bands for registered participants.

Required:
A signed waiver of liability from you. The form will be provided at check in time.
You are responsible to bring and wear safety equipment while forging or operating machinery.

Where to stay:
There are 3 motels with in 3 blocks of the warehouse. A dozen more with in a few miles.
We will provide a list on request.
Please note that Mankato is the summer training camp for the NFL Vikings team during this weekend. You will want to make your reservations well in advance at the Vikings brings thousands of people to town this weekend.

Where to eat:
We will have hot dogs and burgers both days for lunch. We will have a list of local restaurants available.

Reservations:
Reservations will be accepted on first paid, first served basis. Reservations are paid in advance. Contact Beth, our customer service manager at info.usakms@gmail.com to arrange your payment in advance. We expect to fill up to the maximum.

What to do:
Visit the Vikings training camp.
The Mall of America, the USA's largest shopping mall is 1 hour and 15 minutes away from us.
Make knives.

Last edited:
My idea for the kydex demo is to have a small kit set up with clip or belt loop and hardware that you can purchase from Boss and I will set up shop and assist you in making your own completed sheath.

This'll be fun.

PS. I will pay extra to hang with Mr. Coye!!!!!

Last edited:
We have 6 reserved already. This will fill up fast. You will have to email or call into Midwest Knifemakers Supply, llc >click here to contact us< and arrange your payment with Beth. She is pulling together a local motel list and will have that soon.

Like last year, attendees will be get a 15% discount on anything they purchase while attending the hammer in.

Fellow dogs, I'm proud and honored to be part of the hammer and folder-in next year. The admission price is about 1/3rd what other hammer-ins go for so I expect it will fill up quickly. Kaye is interested because the Mall of America is close by. So what do you guys want me to teach? With early input I can better prepare. It would be cool if there was some hands-on projects like slippies and forged fixed blades that you can finish off at home. I would like to have a relaxed time with question and answers too. Start thinking so we can get the best use of the time we have.

Bruce i would love to see how you do raindrop pattern, or a small canister of mosaic for gaurds and pommels.

Yes a canister mosaic would be cool. Do we have a press? Dry welding in a canister will result in some interesting patterns.
Please keep the requests coming.

How about unfolding the canned damascus for Blade usage?
trying to work on freeing up that time frame.

Hey Bruce,
Since we are going to be limited on time and Tracy doesn't have a press as yet, I would be thrilled to see some demonstrations related to making folders, fitting guards, blade grinding and (more blade grinding) plus maybe an in depth question and answer session.

I'm sure that whatever you come up with will be great but we have to consider the most benefit to the most people because of time and space.

PS. Don't plan on going back to the Hotel too early.

Thanks,
Steve

Steven, also if we can go on-line with a projecter screen I can explain some of the WIPs. The "Sway Back Wharncliffe" one looks like it gets allot of views. I could do a new one just in time for the hammer-in on a kit knife or one of a kind slippie perhaps?

I have a question:::

I've already registered for this meet and I'm really excited about going, but I got to thinking..... I've never forged before am I going to be hindering the meet, should I not go??

is this for everyone or just those with experience??

I've made knives only from stock removal and various recycled steel sources..........

battle creek you will be just fine, come and join the party, forgings not the only thing that will be going on. i spent most of my time with Les vorhies last time and never touched the forge. you will have a blast boss runs a first class shin dig.

its my first hammer-in and really don't know to expect, been wanting to go to one for a long while now..

as far as things to bring, what have you guys found most useful to bring while attending ??

Not a bad idea. I have a drift if you have the ballpeen hammer head. I've forged several without drifting the eye but always worry the handle will break. Behind the scenes we are working on bringing a press to the event. Keep your fingers crossed.
how about forging a hawk out of a ballpeen hammer??

Back