Snake Chopper

Church & Son

At realjob we use these monster CNC saws and routers. The guys there are great, they save all broken blades
and worn out files for me and we have been known to throw a knife or ‘hawk at units of plywood. “while on break of course!”

This one is out of my ordinary. It hasn’t touched the forge! It was a 16″ saw blade from a beam saw.
I wanted to see what I could do with a hacksaw and files. A lot of blades later this is it.
The heat treat and tempering is the same as when I started. It sharpened nice and holds an edge well.
16″ overall with 9″ sharpened.

snakechop1.jpg
snakechop2.jpg

The handle is a Cypress root from a Georgia fly fishing trip (when I was supposed to be working) and the copper bolster is part of a plumbing cap.
The sheath is yard sale jacket leather over rawhide with a few scraps for decoration.

And the name, Snake Chopper, it was with me when a Cottonmouth nailed me on a local river. I stepped up a bank and it got me on the back of the calf.
It dispatched the snake that almost dispatched me. It’s hide is stretched on the side of the barn waiting on an appropriate project……Randy

Both knives look great. I like the sweeping lines of this one. Looks useful for killing snakes and a lot of other things. The handle on that knife looks like it has been a handle for 100 years. You are a master when it comes to "aging" a piece.

Thanks Brother Grafton. This one was fun, what can I do without the forge? Aging? It wears off of me.....Randy

Thanks Wade, I still walk with a limp but I came out better than him.....

Glad that you made it and our pal didn't!:biggrin:
I think that you should put some of his/Her Hide on this very Snake Chopper! You did do a excellent job of aging that package.

The blade just looks ready!
I have a limp too For other reasons! All I can tell you is to limp with PRIDE! It works for me...

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks Gentlemen.. This chopper wasn't really for sale but it sold...Now I get to do me another and the skin will be a part of it or the sheath... Maybe it will scare off the living ones....

That is a great knife and a great story to go with it.
I especially like that you played hooky from work to go fishing. :) My kinda guy.

Sean

Thanks Jerry and Sean and it wasn't hookey....it was " investigative research" on Georgia's prime river Bass......

Back