How bout a little Solidworks fun?

J S Machine

--Finished grinder video added

I've had Solidworks on my work PC for a while now, and finally got some time to try to learn it. I've been at it for about a 3 weeks now, and I finally started getting the hang of it. There are still some things I can't do yet, but I'll figure them out eventually. I've been on a hiatus from making knives while I've tried to figure out this stuff lol. Since I got my new mill I have been busting my rear trying to fab up parts for this contraption.

This is a grinder I am trying to build. I bought a bader contact wheel from a member here, and it will use a treadmill motor and control for power. It is of course a 2 x 72 setup, and as you can probably tell looks very similar to a KMG. Not trying to take their design, just trying to come up with something that will work. I am trying to build the thing out of old scrap pieces I have laying around here and there, so it won't look exactly like what I have here, but this gives me a good idea of what I have to deal with and how to approach it. It is actually a simple design, but there is more to it than you think. It has been a fun project and I look forward to getting it finished so I can use it.

I had previously done some work in the 3D side of AutoCAD, but it is much harder to use than Solidworks. Solidworks is a breeze. Solidworks is basically a 3D modeling program that lets you create just about anything in the virtual sense. It is a very cool program.

This is what I have so far, which is about 4 days of drawing:

grinder1.jpg

grinder2.jpg

There are still some things I am trying to learn, which I will update the thread with. First of all, I'd like to be able to model the serations into the contact wheel. Also, I would like to be able to actually wrap a drive belt and an abrasive belt on the pulleys. When this is all figured out, the machine will actually function (pulleys will roll, belts will track). You can create a motion study and see how it works. Very neat stuff that I hope to learn soon.

The only parts I can think of off the top of my head that are missing are the spring and it's associated mounts that go in between what I call the idler wheel arm and the capture box for the boom. There are alot of fasteners missing as well. You don't necessarily have to draw these, but it is good practice. Once I ge the hang of it, just imagine the knives that could be modeled. I can't wait :)

Last edited:
Just realized I need to add an adjustment bolt -The one that goes through the idler wheel arm and contacts the back of the idler wheel (or tracking wheel).

It looks like you modeled your pillow block bearings. I usually just get the pillow block cad files from McMaster, once you find the bearing you want click on it and on the left is an option to download a 3d file.
I do this for most hardware I intend to use from Mcmaster. Saves alot of time.
CW

...and a spring assembly for upward tension on the arm.
Nicely done.

David

I guess that was what I was talking about when I said "The spring and its a associated mounts for what I call the idler arm" :)

The name you used sounds correct for that part though, lol.

It looks like you modeled your pillow block bearings. I usually just get the pillow block cad files from McMaster, once you find the bearing you want click on it and on the left is an option to download a 3d file.
I do this for most hardware I intend to use from Mcmaster. Saves alot of time.
CW

Wow, I didn't know I could do this Chris. I will definitely check it out.

Oops! Sorry, I thought I read your entire post.
And your phraseology was at least as correct as mine was.
I stand corrected sir.

David

Nice job ;-)

If you go to Thomas.net and search (IIRC) cad drawings you will come up with models of just about anything.

For your spring use the "help" feature and type in "helix" (or just pull a spring file off the net).

For your wheel serations try making a singular feature and then propagate using circular patterning.

Also, for your adjustment screw hole (and others) use the "hole wizard". The bolt may be in Solid Works Toolbox (if your station is equiped), or again, load off the net. McMaster should have handwheels, knobs, levers, etc as solid model files.

Best,
Steve

I used to work with some mechanical engineers that were very proficient with SolidWorks. Amazing program. Tony could draw parts, and test fit them. I think it would also show the areas that wouldn't fit.

Ric

I've made a little progress. I figured out how to do the belts / chains assembly feature. For some reason, I have so many mates I cannot make it work correctly on this model of the grinder. I can do a simple model of a base with two wheels and then add a belt, and everything works. But for some reason, I keep getting errors about components being fixed and other stuff. At least it accurately depicts the two belts needed to make the machine complete. I added the holes in all the wheels and pulleys to help see them rotate. I'm also trying to figure out how to apply color to each individual part so that I can distinguish them easier. Having trouble with that too. Solidworks is really cool.

grinder3.jpg

Well it isn't exactly finished yet, but it is 99%. I still have to put the circuit board that controls the motor in a box and also wrap the motor itself with something like a stocking to protect it from dust. These motors are not protected so that is the biggest vulnerability. If you look close you can see a 25' tape measure laying on its side near the drive wheel in the back. It is just my temporary sensor holder. I still have to build a fixed mount for the sensor. It provides feedback via the magnet in the drive wheel. Every time the magnet passes the sensor it gives the motor control circuit feedback, which then monitors the motor's speed.

Chris Williams was nice enough to send me a DC motor control, and I may switch to that soon. This will be run by the contoller that was on the treadmill for the time being. You can see it sitting on the turkey fryer box. .5 mph is the slowest it will go so this would be the slowest speed for the grinder. Works for me. It will also spin super fast too, so no worries about enough speed. As you can see, We are even burning some calories :)

It is built primarily of old scrap material I had laying around. I had to buy the contact wheel and bearing pillow blocks and bolts. Also had to pick up a few bearings too. You can get most of that stuff at grainger or mcmaster carr.

[video=youtube_share;-zxT_WG6twc]http://youtu.be/-zxT_WG6twc[/video]

Last edited:
John,
Where can I get Solid Works and how much does it cost? I have heard so much about it, the only CADD I've done was in MicroStation, and some other smaller programs fooling around. I'm sure I'd be able to pick it up, with a little use. Thanks Bud! The grinder is looking SWEEEEEET! I'm hoping I may be able to get by there to see it one day before next year, Oh, did you come across any more treadmills? I'd sure be nice to get one of those babies, so I can slow mine way down! Thanks Bro' and hurry up and get back to making some more knives!!!! Can't wait to see what you'll be able to do with the new machinery, it's going to be awesome!!!! Rex

Back