Where to buy ferric chloride

Toole

Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me where to buy ferric chloride and please don't say Radio Shack. And while we are at it how do I bring back the pattern in damascus after it has been polished?
Thanks Toole

OK....
In another post I mentioned RS, they do have it in my area. There's a vendor on Flea-bay that sells it in powder form and also most hobby electronics stores carry it (in my area). To bring back the pattern.......soak the blade in ferric chloride. lol. I couldn't resist, sorry.

Rudy

Hmmm - place I bought powder from no longer sells it - so that got me curious - I see Jantz Supply has some liquid. Some place called Science Company sells powder. For what that's worth.

Radio Shack.

But at many RS stores, you have to ask for the PCB Etchant, not ferric chloride. I called nearly every RS in my area when I wanted to etch some blades and asked for ferric chloride. Most said "oh no, we don't carry those types of chemicals". Then, I actually got ahold of someone who said "Yeah, we have it, it's but we call it PCB Etchant". I called back to those other stores a day later and asked them if they had "PCB Etchant". "Yes, we have several bottles" was their reply. It's $10.49 for 16 oz.

In y'alls searching to find Ferric Chloride, has anyone seen a good place to get it in gallon+ sizes? Also, does anyone know the ratio for mixing the ferric crystals? What about Iron III? I've found both of these on eBay, and I've also found a local supplier that can get a gallon for $35 dollars a gallon. I'm going to be building an etching tank,(for Damascus) filling it full of PCB Etchant will send me to the poor house AND the dog house too! Not to mention, I don't know if the concentration is right because the PCB E is already dilluted. Does anyone know if it is strong enough to etch Damascus? Thanks Dawgs!!!!

Back