Adding colored liners to handle material??

Lerch

Hi guys, well i have already done some colored liners and spacers on a few knives and the thought just occured to me maybe i aint doing it right lol

What i have done if i wanted a colored liner on a knife is take the handle slabs and epoxy them to the sheet of the colored liner material. once this is dried and cured up well i would take the slabs and liner to the band saw and cut the liner material out as flush as i can with the handle material. I then take these and drill some 1/8" holes through the liner and into the handle material, then i sand all of this on some 60grit sand paper on my cement floor to make it as flat as possible. Then epoxy to the knife handle, then the other side, then add and epoxy in corby bolts and you can imagine the rest,

jsut wondering if this was a good way to utilize handle liners or if there was a better and more efficent route? my concern was if there was enough of a bond of epoxy between the knife handle and the handle material with the liner in between and the 1/8" holes being only point for epoxy to bond through all 3 layers??

thanks
steve

I roughen the liner with course sandpaper to improve the bond. If I'm cutting a complex handle, I glue the liner to the scale and then cut to shape. Except for the leading edge of the scale, I cut them slightly oversize and grind them to size on the belt grinder later. I refine the leading, front, edge of the scales before I glue them down. When I glue the scale assembly to the tang I again roughen the liner up with sandpaper. I don't drill any small holes for a grip. I also use Acraglas bedding compound as an adhesive to hold the scales on.

Doug

Back