Recommend Steel for Kitchen Knives Please!

DonL

I want to make a few Kitchen knives for my friends and family for Christmas. Since I'm new at this, I've only worked with 1095, 1084 and 1075. Since I don't think these would be the best steels for this purpose, I want to use some Stainless for these knives. I'm not sure which steel would be best, so I came to ask you guys/gals!

I'm currently leaning toward either CPM S-30V from Aldo or CPM 154cm. Is there another steel I should consider? Is one easier to work with than the other?

I know I'll have to send it off to be HT'ed and Cryo'd, but are there any other things I should consider? I think the handles will be Micarta and/or G10. I plan on making two knives for each gift set and making a knife block to go along with them.

Throw this Dawg a bone and give me your thoughts/suggestions please!

Hello, I have been working on this exact same choice. And after researching it a bit, I believe that either of the steels you chose are perfect for this application. My first batch of stainless will be ATS 34 I went with that steel over the others for cost effectiveness, as well as overall performance.

After I work the stock I have I will be upgrading to CPM 154cm.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out for ya!

I wanted to add, That 1095 make a exceptional kitchen knife! I have used it exclusively for my High carbon kitchen cutters. But its not for everyone, as it will rust if not taken care of properly. :)

Last edited:
CPM-154 is an excellent choice. It can support a very thin, fine edge and is not terribly difficult to sharpen.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like they'll be made from CPM 154!

As for the rust and 1095, well, that's why I chose to go with Stainless...because I know some of these people and they won't take care of them to keep them from rusting! (obviously these are the people on my Wife's side of the family, mine know how to take care of a knife ;) )

CPM 154 is what I have been using to make mine and everyone that gets them loves the durability of it and they stay very sharp when used properly . Mirror polishing is the way to go in my honest opinion . It doesnt take much to clean them after using !!! good luck and post pics when your done !!!

Back