Gaucho feather integral

toddmiller

I guess I would have to call it a gaucho knife as I don't think it meets the definition of a bowie. I used Bruce Bump's feather tutorial on this site and Kevin Casey's on his website. Thanks for the help, it was invaluable. This is actually my second feather blade, the first one, which I hope to post soon, actually has a more regular pattern. This one turned our more "organic" because I had to work hard to save it. I had a lot of problems with the corners delaminating which I think was caused when I switched to more aggressive dies on my hammer. Always learning. Todd

Overall length 15 1/2"
sharp 81/2"
cocobolo handle
damascus butt cap.

Attachments

• gaucho butt cap.jpg
    gaucho butt cap.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 31
  • gaucho Detail.jpg
    gaucho Detail.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Gaucho handle 2.jpg
    Gaucho handle 2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Gaucho handle.jpg
    Gaucho handle.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Gaucho profile.jpg
    Gaucho profile.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 74
Todd, this is a beautiful piece of sculptured steel and wood. I can only imagine you working in your shop...holding the blade this way and then that way, watching the light catch it while you plan your next move. This rendering is very nice, you can be proud!

Eric

Thanks for the kind words. Calvin I love the "flamethrower" title. It is funny, I never saw it that way until you said it but now I can't see it any other way. I am going to have to try and figure out how it came about. Bruce, I really want to thank you for your tutorials and your sharing. I talked with you at Eugene after your knife grinding demonstration and you helped me even then. I look forward to seeing you in Boise.
Todd

Hi Todd,
Yes the "Flamethrower" is a one of kind bound for greatness. I'd charge extra just for the pattern. hehe
Please look me up in Boise. Cant wait.
Bruce

Thanks for the kind words. Calvin I love the "flamethrower" title. It is funny, I never saw it that way until you said it but now I can't see it any other way. I am going to have to try and figure out how it came about. Bruce, I really want to thank you for your tutorials and your sharing. I talked with you at Eugene after your knife grinding demonstration and you helped me even then. I look forward to seeing you in Boise.
Todd
I hope you can figure out how to produce it an time you want to, then you will have other producers trying to figure out how to make it. You'll go down in history as the inventor of the FLAME THROWER pattern.
I would like to get some from you if you think it would work on the ittty bitty knives I build.

That's awesome! Think it's the first time I've seen an integral in feather (or flamethrower. ;) ). I love integrals and I love feather so this one is just peferct for me! :D

Thanks again, after Boise I am going to work on reproducing the pattern. If I figure it out I will let you all know how. Stew, I really like to do integrals and I like that the flow of the feather (flamethrower) and integral seem to go together- Todd

Last edited:
Back