Need tips on getting things flat

jonathan creason

I'm still pretty much a virgin to this forging thing, and although I feel like I'm making some improvements I know I've still got a long way to go. One of the issues that's cropped its head up lately is getting a full tang nice and flat to allow scales to be epoxied on. Looking down the spine it looks fairly flat, but when you stick a piece of wood on the side a slight bow really shows up. I guess I could heat it back up and try to get it flatter, but I'm just wondering if anyone has some hints that might help me with that. I guess I could crank up the grinder and make it flat, but seeing as how I'm posting in the forum I'm trying to avoid that.

Sounds like a job for draw filing. Essentially you turn the file almost 90 degrees to the steel, and pull it toward you. Keep the teeth cleaned out well or this will put long gouges in the steel. Lathe files work particularly well for draw filing if you can find them; there teeth are cut at a different angle from a regular mill @@@@@@@. With practice, draw filing is a great way to smooth up and flatten, and it is possible to get a pretty smooth finish with it.

Jonathan

Are you forging this blade?
If so, look for a tool called a Flatter. It is basicly a square face hammer on one side and a striking face in the other. the square or "Flatter" face is just that. Flat and smooth. The hot work is placed on the anvil, the flatter placed on the work then struck with the hammer. This will allow you to have a degree of accuracy when flattening things like tangs in line to the choil area. You can fine them used, or look at Kayne & Sons or some of the other blacksmith supply companies. They work like a champ!

God Bless
Mike

I think that's exactly what I need, Mike. Once I get it to that point I should be able to drawfile it the rest of the way. As it is right now I'd just have to drawfile too much to get it dead nuts flat for scales. Probably going to do a wrap on this one and try to pick up a flatter sometime in the future. I plan on going to the NC Knife Guild event in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I can pick up some of the tools I need there reasonably.

I try to get the blade as flat as possible during the forging process. Once you start your draw filing you will notice the high and low spots. Sometimes you can file through the high and low spots but if it is really bad I take it back to the forge and concentrate on the deformities and "tweak" the blade. It takes a bit longer but it works for me.....Flatters are nice too.

If you are willing ot shop some of the flea markets and junk shops you might be suprised what you can pick up. Dont be afraid to but them with broken or missing handles, handles are cheap. Plus the face on the flatter can be worked if its not scarred up too bad. I stay away Antique places they want to much!!! Check out the tailgate sales at any events you go to, Ive picked up some great deals for sale on the back of trucks!

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Back