More bronze and less copper?

W

Walking Man

I'm curious as to why more maker don't use bronze. It's stronger, and tarnishes less. While I admit, I'm far from a materials expert, I would think you'd see more bronze on knives.

Seems to be a little harder to get a hold of, especially flat stock. I like it and am starting to us it. Just picked up some silicon bronze flats from Alpha Knife Supply. Also have some aluminum bronze; like the color but filing it is not fun.

I use bronze and sheets are available from MSC in 1/8thickness. I sometimes antique it for an old school look. Here is a knife I recently completed with bronze bolsters.

attachment.php

I'm just finishing engraving the thrid Sil. bronze set of bolster & spacer for Kevin Casey. The sil. bronze works much easier than the alum. bronze. The alum. B. will maintain a golden color longer than the sil B. Kevin has different patina solutions availble to him that give different colors. This is really nice as I inlay either gold or silver wire borders on these bolster. Engraving sil bronze is a real treat for me.

I definitely like how antiqued bronze looks, and even plain bronze is preferable to copper imo.

THANKS! I forgot about brass.....
I don't really ever remember seeing brass on knives.
What would be stronger or tarnish less? Brass or Bronze?

I use it quite a lot. It will tarnish, but not as bad as brass, in my experience. Lin
195000555_1df7feffd6.jpg

We get more requests for brass than bronze and have never had a request for copper on a knife. I never have understood why people put copper on knives when it tarnishes so much quicker than either brass or bronze. It seems like the people that frequent the forums universally hate brass, but yet knives with brass guards sell very well. Bronze would be my choice since you still get some color and tarnishing would be much less of a problem. It is a little harder to work to me than brass or nickel silver, but I like the looks.

Brass is a very traditional material for guards on swords and knives that has fallen out of favor with many collectors in the last 20 years or so. I like old looking brass myself, that has that mellow patina that can only be gained with age. One of the best looking knives I have ever seen was a Loveless with engraved brass bolsters and a sheep horn handle. I'll bet it has been a while since he made one of those.

Back