Elmax in Wyoming

Lerch

Just got back from my elk hunt in Wyoming. All was a success, me and my buddy both got some nice elk for our first hunt. I tested out the elmax steel and was pretty happy overall with it.

Originally I wanted to restrict it where only one knife could be used on one elk, but i quickly changed that idea when i realized that the overall knife shape was not perfect for cleaning a elk out in total. The elmax knives did the bulk of the work and all the heavy duty chopping. I used my knife to severe the head of my elk using a rock to apply force. I managed to break 3 rocks across the back of my knife and only lightly scratched the spine, and a very slight bend on the blade, here's a pic
WyomingElkHunt2011040.jpg

WyomingElkHunt2011037.jpg

WyomingElkHunt2011036.jpg

My knife saw the most abuse but came out with pretty much no real damage, very tough. I wouldnt call it shaving sharp at the end but it can still pop hair alright.

I didnt get any pics of the knife i gave to the land owner and my buddy managed to leave his knife on the mountain side from as best we can figure, he hasnt found it yet.

I used a Mike Miller knife for most of my fine cutting, it worked great!!!
WyomingElkHunt2011044.jpg

Here is the spot i shot my elk from, he was at 1310yds and shot with a custom 7mm WSM. The elk is just up and right from the bottom on the top of my hat just over the rocky ridge in the distance
WyomingElkHunt2011025.jpg

Here is my elk once we hiked up to him. there is no real timber in this country so being able to shoot long range was for sure a advantage.
WyomingElkHunt2011026.jpg

And last here is my elk and my buddies side by side, his is left mine is right
WyomingElkHunt2011047.jpg

thanks
steve

Last edited:
Unfortunently that first pic also shows that my finishing skills arent quite up to par yet, i never saw those grind marks until i bead blasted it

One of the most satisfying aspects of knife making is using one of your own while doing something you love. Hunting contibuted greatly to my desire to make my own knives.
Congrats on your success in both regards! One of my dreams was to some day go on an elk hunt. Unfortunately I have a physical imparment that prohibits it. But I can experience it vicariously through the stories I hear from guys like you.

Eric

Great field report!
Nice Elk. I really like that kind of country. I wish I was closer to it again.

That is one hell of a shot!! I shoot a 338 and use to do some competition and thats impressive! Thats 3/4 of a mile!

Thank you sir, we shot alot of competition around OK and other states and we run one of the larger competitions in our state. We practice more than most can imagine but even with that this was the farthest shot i have ever had on a animal by a fair margin. Luckily we had been practicing out to 1500yds a couple days before at that elevation so we had a leg up

tanks
steve

Well today has been my first real day back off my feet and letting the sore feet relax for a while didnt feel great once i got moving around on my roof hanging halloween decorations lol. I also managed to find my buddies Elmax knife shoved deep down in my pack so at least that wasnt lost.

I thumbed over both knives again tonight and was very happy with the edge retention. both are still very sharp and outside of the little bend in my knifes cutting edge there was no real damage. I do think i need to work on the bevel that i grind my cutting edge at. I am free handing it on a flat platen and finishing on a high speed buffer. I do not know the actual angle but it is fairly sharp, i wonder if a more gradual angle would prolong sharpness. If anyone knows of any jigs to perfect this i would love to hear of them, when i have tried to do a more gradual angle i have gotten a wobble in my angle. it may be a inexperinces issue also

thanks
steve

Back