voids

BonhamBlades

What is your favorite product to fill larger voids? Do you add color to your filler to match the natural color of the wood. if you do how do you go about it?

I use clear epoxy on most voids, and it depends on the wood and the size of the hole if I want to color it or not, I use black most of the time. On small cracks, holes or voids I will use CA glue (super glue).
Hope this helps,
Bruce

It would be nice to know what you mean by voids. Do you mean open grain or do you mean cracks and chunks missing? If the former you can use a wood sealer. Small imperfections like worm holes I would leave and call it character. Cracks, slits, and craters, I would take the scales or block off and replace them. You can use a wood filler if you want but it often draws attention to the defect, especially if you try to stain on top of it.

Doug

If you mean closing up the pores on open-grained wood, pore filler is how it's done.

If you mean minor splits, cracks, pinholes, etc., I use CA for the small stuff.
For larger imperfections like wormholes, etc., I use clear epoxy mixed with sawdust from the wood itself. Sometimes tinting is needed if working on a color streak that is vastly different than the general overall color of the wood.

Maybe I'm overstepping the issue, but my first instinct is to say that if there is a "void" it's best to use a different piece of material. No matter how it's repaired/filled, it will always be evident to the experienced eye that something isn't "right". I suppose it's all in what an individual is willing to accept. Cracks, checks, and splits are givens with certain materials, and their presence, filled or not, is acceptable. On others it's simply not acceptable, and to put a knife out there with filled areas in those types of handles is to advertise to everyone that you're willing to settle for less than the best quality. I'm not trying to belittle anyone who chooses to fill in cracks and voids, but if you do it, and it's done poorly, or on materials where it's not acceptable, your establishing a personal standard that knife buyers and other makers will base the "quality level" of your knives on.

I'm working on handles right now, and have rejected several piece of material, simply because of checks or cracks.

One alternative to filling a void to match is highlighting the flaw and making it part of the flow of the knife. I've done a good amount of knife handles, ton more shaving brushes, pens and bowls... at some point, you realize that certain woods/ materials go hand-in-hand with their flaws. Manzanita burl was a big one for me to learn to love, but once I stopped worrying about the checks and cracks it was easy to incorporate them into the piece.

Either learn to make it work for you or go with Mr. Caffrey's advice and keep a few pieces around in case one doesn't work out.

Just my two cents...

Thanks to all who replied I greatly appreciate the help.If any one else has anything else to add the more advice the better.

Back