G10 and Micarta differences

NitroxAZ

Fairly new to knife making and had a question regarding handle material. I have only used stabilized wood, bone and stag material for handles in the past. I want to try either G10 or Micarta but don't know much about either one. I have a few questions if you guys don't mind.

1. What is the difference between the two?
2. What are the pros and cons in working with each one?
3. What is the difference between paper, linen and canvas Micarta?
4. Any other info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I have never used G10 other than the really really thin liner material, so I can only really help with #3.

The difference is the actual fiber-media that is used. Obviously each uses what it is named for, and the real difference is going to be in the SIZE of the fibers (think of it like grain-size). Finest to Most coarse would be: Paper, linen, denim, canvas and burlap. I'm sure other materials are used, but those are pretty common.

Use the linen micarta. Looks better when finished. As for G-10, If you use it, have good ventilation. If you dont, it's like putting insulation in the attic while naked! Little needles everywhere. Looks good when done, but a bear to clean outta the shop.
GOD BLESS!!
Michael

Thanks for the info so far guys. Is the Micarta easy to work with? What grit sandpaper should be used to finish it?

Thanks for the info so far guys. Is the Micarta easy to work with? What grit sandpaper should be used to finish it?

Micarta is really easy to work on a grinder. You can rough shape it with a 60 gr belt and finish it with a 120-220 gr depending on your desired finish. A light buff will give it a sleek finish. If you want a good grippy texture, I would recommend canvas Micarta with a 120 finish. It looks great and gives an excellent grip for a field knife.

I can't speak much for differences in use because I too am very new to this but the differences between G-10 and micarta as I understand it are G-10 is fiberglass layers epoxied together, and micarta is either Paper, linen, denim, canvas and burlap among other things as Brad said.
-Cameron

Back