experimenting and loving it :)

prisonbreak

im a newbie as you may know.........this is my second blank, just gotta cut along black lines and hope for the best, then dive into it, going to have micarta scales i think at this stage, but may change to a wooden handle. Any feedback be appricated.My first blank is still in process as in picture, kitchen knife with modified handle, going to have brass liners with maybe black and white micarta (damascus pattern) and other pictures are of micarta ive previously made, they all had wooden handles, so replaced them with hot pink and black micarta, other pictures are yellow and black micarta cutlery, hope you enjoy :)

Attachments

• 8mm knife blank.jpg
    8mm knife blank.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 47
  • complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 52
  • finished handle.jpg
    finished handle.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 43
  • honeybee's steak knife.jpg
    honeybee's steak knife.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 48
  • hmmmmm.jpg
    hmmmmm.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 43
  • hot pink n black.jpg
    hot pink n black.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 38
  • knife profile.jpg
    knife profile.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 42
That pink and black micarta looks great! Showed it to my wife, she really liked it. Where did you get it?

Ric

picked up a steak knife for my partner, took off wooden handle, picked up hot pink fabric from craft shop, had black left over from previous projects, scollop out a ditch in some wood, cut strips of fabric, nail one end, epoxy every second piece, when that was done, held the non nailed end and twisted it then got another piece of wood and clamped it on top to press into scollop ditch, oh forgot to meantion, its got a brass liner, copied the method from a full tang thread

picked up a steak knife for my partner, took off wooden handle, picked up hot pink fabric from craft shop, had black left over from previous projects, scollop out a ditch in some wood, cut strips of fabric, nail one end, epoxy every second piece, when that was done, held the non nailed end and twisted it then got another piece of wood and clamped it on top to press into scollop ditch, oh forgot to meantion, its got a brass liner, copied the method from a full tang thread

That's very creative and cool! I make my own mycarta as well, but haven't tried that trick. Think I'll give it a whirl the next time I make some up. Have some Black, White and Grey strips left over. Thanks for sharing and by the way, your pieces look really good!

when i get time i'll download pictures of spoons, yes spoons i've made fully from micarta............i do know its a knife site, just want to show my projects :)

The twisted micrata is really cool. :drool:

I am not trying to be a downer here as I can really appreciate new/original ideas on knives as they are few and far between. The blank with the holes drilled in the blade is different but I would be worried that as many holes as there are in the blade and as close as they appear to the edge..........well lets just say. I would be afraid that the blade would be easy to snap after completion and hardening. The holes will allow for a weak places close to the holes in the case of any side stress on the blade. That is just my O2 so take it for what it is worth! I will give you A for original design. :3:

Back