Layout question

Kayla Minchew

Hey Guys,

I put this layout together because I thought the original pictures were so nice, I didn't want to cut out the knives and insert them into the original picture like I usually do. However, I know this is not what is typical to see when you are looking through a portfolio. What are your opinions? Thanks!

IMG_1105_edited-3.jpg

Great lay out! I like the way each pic pops and is in its own frame yet overlapping the main pic. Not sure if that makes sense.. It looks good IMO. Thanks for posting.

The knife is also a beautiful piece, which seems to help when taking pics.. :)

Kayla, I'm new here so I hope you don't mind my 2¢ :D
I really, really like what you have done here. I think it is a much better solution than the round and oval insets that are so popular now.

As a graphic artist for 35 or so years, one thing that I'm a big proponent of is a rule around the photos (stroke the boxes), it makes the individual photos stand out from each other and makes the eye travel around the composition with ease. Before digital, this device was always used. Now it has fallen by the wayside.

I'd also add a rule around the the entire piece encompassing the photos and the type. It would tie the whole piece together.

Sometimes it is a little "kiss" that makes a composition pop.

Again, I hope I'm not being too forward.

I like it much better than the oval insets.
One thing I have trouble with and it's probably just me, is the out of focus areas in the insets, it's like they trick my eye into trying to focus.

I like it!
Your subject is clear and the middle and your close up's are attractive and share the stage well with the main subject so to speak.

One thing you might try is having three distance focal points with the pictures, the way you compose a art painting or still life. one point in the front, one in the middle and then one in the distance.

Hope this makes sense? it's 2:30 am.:24:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Very well done. I think what you have done is very pleasing to the eye. It causes seperation of the main photo and the details while bringing them all together.

Back