Knives #3 and #6

DonL

Finished up this batch today. Knife #3 is one I started a few weeks back but kept putting it on the back burner to start/finish other knives. I finally got around to putting some scales on it and HT'ing it. It's 3/16 O-1. The scales are laminated Black Walnut/Cocobolo. Honestly, they didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. I left the scales kinda large. Once I started handling the knife, the package just felt good to me. It's a handful!

I tried my hand at checkering, not crazy about it! File skipped at some point and I didn't catch it. I'll probably just use cross ways lines for the thumb jimping instead of trying the checkering again.

DSCN1852.jpg

DSCN1848.jpg

DSCN1853.jpg

Knife #6 is my favorite so far. It's 5/32 O-1 with Camo Dymondwood scales and my first attempt at a swedge. I really like knives with this handle shape. They just feel good in the hand and while you're working with them. Hope to give this one a good workout starting Oct. 1 when our Bow season opens!

I skipped the filework on this knife since I knew I'd be the one carrying it.

DSCN1859.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg

DSCN1863.jpg

You are doing real well with those knives. Your file work is really looking good, far better than you think it is. One suggestion though; I would not put pins as close as you have them to the ricasso area. That area of the handle can come under a lot of stress with any prying. On the first one I would have placed the decorative pin maybe about a third of the way back between the small front pins and the middle pins. On the second one I would have placed the front pin the same distance from the front of the handle as the rear pin is from the butt of the handle.

Doug

Those are some good looking knives. I'm particularly digging the filework on #3 and the swedge and blade design on #6, looks like it'll be great for detail work.

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate them. Doug, thanks for the suggestion on the pins. I knew once I was done rough shaping the handles on #3 that the mosaic pin was too close to the front. I didn't give it much thought until I was sanding and thought "Uh oh".

Back