Shepherd's Cross Knives - 4 Pups

Rob Nelson

Thanks to the great folks here at KD, I've been making knife shaped objects for 4 months now. I am finishing up a batch of 7 knives (numbers 4-10 of knives I've completed) out of a piece of 3/16" 1095 from Aldo. All of them have been HT by OMachearley, in a timely and consistent manner! They are all variations of 2 of my own designs; these are all Pups, which are my 3 fingered knife, about 6.5" long with a 3" blade. A 5th Pup has already been taken by my daughter, and a 6th Pup for my son is on my bench. All of my knives are marked with a Shepherd's Cross on the tang.

Appreciate your feedback - each one I learned a little something.

img2939.jpg

Left to Right: BushPup w/Koa, BushPup w/Mycarta, Clip Point Pup w/Mycarta, Wharny Pup w/NWU Mycarta taped for kydex forming.

img2937.jpg

10 degree scandi grind, 600 grit finish, Koa handles w/SS tubes.
I live in HI at least for 2 more weeks, and one of my Deacons handed me a stack of Koa ... :biggrin:

img2938.jpg

img2940.jpg

I made 4 pups for my wife and I and our 2 kids. We all picked out our own mycarta and made it. This one is mine, blue jeans and blue bandana.

img2941.jpg

This is my wife's clip point w/swedge. Her mycarta is blue and black denim, pink curtain, and floral denim.

Rob,
You are doing some nice work for just having a few blades under your belt. Making your own handle material at the same time is a real bonus. Keeping the family happy while you are learning is a smart way to go at it. Keep 'em coming. Wade

I like the clip point. I would like to see more pics of the warnny. For a more comfortable grip, round or soften the fronts of the wod scales. It takes a few to get the feel for doing it, but it is worth it.

Nice work Rob. Isnt making knife shaped objects fun!?
I made my first batch of micarta using a couple old t shirts. I was amazed at how it feels when finished.
I like the idea of using things that have worn out for their original purpose.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Eric

I like the clip point. I would like to see more pics of the warnny. For a more comfortable grip, round or soften the fronts of the wod scales. It takes a few to get the feel for doing it, but it is worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think you're right. I may knock it down with the loofah wheel on my dremel; I don't know what the thing is called, but it looks like a loofah disc and feathers very gradually. And here's some better pics on the wharny
The one on my bench for tonight is what I envisioned the wharny to be, so I'll have pics of that one up hopefully by the weekend.

Lagrange said:
I made my first batch of micarta using a couple old t shirts. I was amazed at how it feels when finished.
I like the idea of using things that have worn out for their original purpose.

I know exactly what you mean; the first batch I made with an old uniform, and it feels so good in the hand on many levels. All of my knives are gifts, and the mycarta is a way for it to be personal to them (their own fabric, their own pattern) and it gives the knife a story. I think that's part of what I hope to incorporate in all of my knives is a story.

Last edited:
Back