Which files do y'all prefer?

jonathan creason

I like working up a sweat draw filing a blade as much as the next guy, but I figure there's no need to make it any harder than it needs to be. So far I've been using the regular Nicolson files you find at Lowe's and such with decent results, but I was wondering if I might be missing something. I picked up a bigger Nicolson that hogged off steel real nice, but dulled FAST and I can't see any sense in spending $15 on a new file for every knife. Which files are y'all using and where are you finding them?

i can't speak for the other guys who are far far better than me. but I started out using cheap Harbor freight single cut files. when i made the change to double cut i was happy with the results, but when i made the change to a double cut nicholson i was really impressed by the difference. so far i haven't had any issues with it dulling, though i know it just a matter of time.

are you using a file cleaner or brush? ive seen guys use a flattened shell casing to clean files also, the teeth cut the brass and make a good cleaner.

Well, I know I might not have the popular opinion, since everybody seems to think so highly of Nicholson files, but I think they've gone down in quality, compared to the older ones I've picked up at the flea market, which seem indestructible. Ultimately however, I've had much better experience with Grobet files.

They're a bit spendy compared to Nicholsons, but they're ace. They're available in any possible size or shape you can imagine, and in many cut grades, from 00 to 08, with much finer cuts than the american files I've seen, which'll allow you to get a much more refined finish with the files than you've ever seen with the normal file cuts, which means much less hand sanding. They've even got a special line of super hard files designed for platinum, and hard to cut stainless alloys and such, that are the hardest available supposedly, at RC 72.

By contrast, my Fisher anvil has a top plate that's so hard it ruined two new nicholson files when I tried to dress the chipped heel.

Check out this site, for more selection than you'll be able to make sense of: http://www.artcotools.com/grobet-files-rifflers-c-256.html

Also, Lowes carries chainsaw files under the brand "Oregon" which I believe are Grobet round files, although just in one cut.

The Nicholsons have gone down in quality. IMO

American made Grobets are still good and the Swiss made ones even better. The American ones are a good deal in boxes of 6.

I agree that sadly, Nicholsons aren't what they used to be. Honestly, I consider them disposable, like sandpaper. Simonds are good, I found some Portugese files marked Tome that were very good. I will check out the Grobets. I once knew of a place that would re-sharpen old files pretty cheap, but I can't find the link :(

One good option is Craftsman files. They are about equal to Nicholsons in cost and performance, but Sears will replace them when they get dull.

Last edited:
Thought I would chime in, as far as I know the new Nicholson files are 1095, according to the MSDS (which I lost or I would post it here) The old ones, the ones that seem to last forever, are W1.

If you can find an out of the way hardware store, that stocks Nicholson files that are wrapped in plastic, and in marked boxes, those are the W1 files BUY THEM ALL if you can!! The blister pack Nicholson are the throw-a-ways made from 1095.

I like the Craftsman warranty, and will have to get a few of those files... Great tip!

I've been using files that a cabinet maker friend of mine gives me. They are from a company called "Save Edge." They are used to cut laminate counter-top material and I love them for draw filing. Save Edge also sharpens files so that you do not need to keep spending top dollar for good files when they can be re-sharpened. A lot of material is hogged off when using these so you will need to use a finer file to smooth out your blade.

I like the rusty ones stamped free. I use them 'till the iron is sharper than the file and then re-use it into something else.
Messerist hit on a good supply. At realjob we use files by the dozens on plastic laminate. P lam takes an exremely sharp file to cut smoothly so we go threw a lot. Any cabinet shop will have a BIG box of used files that are perfectly good for iron.(Unless it's mine, they are spoken for) Also I do a lot of hot filing. Metal cuts good at black heat.........Randy

Can't speak from personal experience, but have heard good things said about Simonds files. I have had a student give me a big ol' rasp by Simonds, and another gave me a rat-tail by them, and I'm plenty happy with them. Nicholson is the best that I am aware of that one can walk into a big box store and buy, but they do wear out after a few blades.

Interesting about the Craftsman thing. Do they take back the old ones, or just give you a new one?

Back