Bird and Trout with Mai Puay Phut

Travis Fry

I don’t often use pattern welded steel but I thought it would look good with this knife pattern, which resembles some knives you see called “bird and trout”. I'm not sure why they call them that, but that's beside the point. I chose some unique wood for the handles that I felt would add beauty without distracting too much from the Damascus or overwhelming the whole design with too much visual texture. It’s called mai puay phut, and it’s a very rare relative of the common crepe myrtle from Laos, sent to me by Rob at Bad Dogs Burl Source. It has wonderful depth and shimmer in the grain like koa does, and a unique color that I like.

Bolsters are 416 stainless, scales are attached with hidden pins, damascus is random pattern from Alabama Damascus.

OAL: 8 inches | Blade: 3.5 inches

Knife191-forum.jpg

Travis,
That is a beauty. It seems that everytime you post it is better and nicer than the one before. And there hasn't been anything that I haven't liked about the previous post.
And by the way Mai Puay Phut means just stepped in dog do do and translates to My Pooey Foot. Just kidding. Wade

Back