Hemp wrapped handle

messerist

I thought to try a different material for a handle on this knife. I used some hemp twine I found at Wallyworld. The wrap is over a slice of leather and covered in epoxy. It feels good in the hand and after a hard day's cutting is equipped with a bottle opener to assist the weary owner with those troublesome non-twist off caps:) Knife is forged 5160. 13" OAL: Blade just under 7" and handle 6". I am on the prowl for other sources of hemp. The Wal-Mart stuff seemed very "lumpy" to me. Anyone know of a source for good quality hemp cord? Thanks for looking.
camping 101 041.jpg
camping 101 036.jpg

Very nice. I saw hemp cord at a "hobby lobby" or one of those crafty places in various weights. Twine consists of several single strands of yarn that are twisted together, cord consists of several pieces of twine that are then twisted together to make the cord. The cord seems to be less lumpy. That make sense? Industrial hemp is imported from less narrow minded countries to the US so the quality in manufacturing is not very good. Amazing plant with centuries of industrial usage.........Randy

The only places around here that carry hemp are Wal-mart, which is what I ended up buying, and Michaels. The hemp they had was for necklaces and was very thin. I found some sites online that have the cord and it looks much smoother. -Troy

Back