Something a little different (for me anyway)

Travis Fry

This is the first iteration of a completely new design that I think I’ll be using a lot in the future. This particular knife features a 1080 carbon steel blade with a tapered tang. The bolsters and thong hole tube are 304 stainless steel, and the carbon fiber for the handles was sent to me by a customer from the UK who manufactures chassis from it for Formula 1 cars. He ended up buying this one himself. It was the first time I've used carbon fiber, and I have mixed feelings. I like the weight and hardness. I'm not crazy about the tacticalish look or all the black dust.

OAL: 8.6 inches | Blade: 3.6 inches

Knife190-large.jpg

I like it Travis. It has a simple elegance to it that I find appealing. I cant tell if the bolster is dovetailed but I am curious what method you used to secure the carbon fiber. I'm not sure that it looks "tactical" per se, as much as it looks utilitarian.
I hope you used a resperator of some sort.
Have you ever heard of anyone using carbon fiber for thong tubes? I happen to have an assorted of carbon fiber tubes called "arrows" that I could use.
Very nice looking knife.

Eric

It has a simple elegance to it that I find appealing.

Well said, I completely agree.

Eric, I don't see any reason you couldn't use CF arrows for thong tubes, in fact I think it would make for a nice contrast with lighter-colored handles and blend well with dark ones. If you have too many, send me one and I'll give it a try :D

Elegant is a fitting word for it. I like the way the carbon fiber pattern is offset too. Its a good looking practical knife, manly but not in a mall ninja way.

Thanks guys. This is one of my favorite new designs by my wife, who has a pretty good eye and can draw anything in Photoshop. I expect that I'll like it even better with some nice burl and a hamon and maybe some engraving. That's more my style, but I'd not use one with nice burl, engraving, and a hamon to gut a deer like I would this.

I've heard of people using CF arrows for thong hole tubes, though I've never done it. Seems like a good idea. I definitely wore a respirator! Scales are secured by dovetailed bolsters, hidden pins (they're my new favorite thing) and a flared thong hole tube.

Well she did a great job on this design, and you did a fine job making it . ((( but I'd not use one with nice burl, engraving, and a hamon to gut a deer like I would this.))) and why not ?? I do . I have a very nice engraved knife that I use for everything, That is why I make knives .
PS: that is one super knife.

Back