Bead Blasting & Maker's Mark

SYD32

I tried to search the forum for the answer to my question and haven't had any luck. When you are going to have a bead or abrasive blasted finish, do you etch your maker's mark before or after the blasting process?

Thanks!

I do it before, my experience says that the smoother the surface of the blade, the better for etching the mark. I would avoid marking over any type of texture if you can help it.

If you mark the blade with an electo-chem mark prior to bead blasting, expect the "black" be get washed out of the lettering. If the mark is deep enough, it will still show, but the letter color will match the surrounding blasted finish.

I am with Calvin , i do mine after the blast , so that the black will stand tall . I have not had any trouble with the surface being textured , and making the mark. Scott

The few i have made I have marked after bead blasting and had great results, the black really stood out well. I have also deeply etched one, to the point that the etched area very eroded and bad, then i bead blasted it and while there was no black on it there was a deep enough etch that it was still easy to see and had kind of a stamped look with a more soft edge.

Thank you for all of the replies. I am going to take the after bead blast approach and see how it works.

thanks again!

Back