brass pins texture

graveyard

help im makeing a indian tribel knife ,with brass pins id like to texture them to look for lack of beter word to have demples /dints i wount them to stick out slightly .pic of how to mould be great,

How large are the pins? When I was doing razor scales, I noticed that the face of your striking tool will transfer the dings and marks over to the soft brass. Also, using a small hammer or even a heave spoon can allow you to place your dents carefully and consistently through your piece.

mike928 i have not cut the pins i have 5/32 size hole in blade and in scales of walnut ,would i need to anneal the brass first ill be glueing on the scales pins ore for afect

I've never had to anneal brass, its typically pretty soft, but I'm sure others can chime in. I cut the pins a bit longer than needed, maybe a 64th to a 32nd more on each side and "mushroom them out," if they are too long, then they are sanded down some and re-peened. If you'd like, you can do a google search on peening razor scales to get a better idea of methods implemented.

The round end of a small ball peen hammer is what I use. I also cut the pins just a hair longer than "flush" to mushroom them out. the round end makes a nice "dimpled" texture. The smaller the hammer, the smaller the "dimple". You can also make a "hand hammered" finish on brass bolsters or guards and subhilts using the same technique. I also put a piece of tooling leather or a piece of thick rubber gasket material between the piece I am "peening" and the anvil part of the vice so that it doesn't mar the finish on the underneath side from the impacts of the hammer.

The round end of a small ball peen hammer is what I use. I also cut the pins just a hair longer than "flush" to mushroom them out. the round end makes a nice "dimpled" texture. The smaller the hammer, the smaller the "dimple". You can also make a "hand hammered" finish on brass bolsters or guards and subhilts using the same technique. I also put a piece of tooling leather or a piece of thick rubber gasket material between the piece I am "peening" and the anvil part of the vice so that it doesn't mar the finish on the underneath side from the impacts of the hammer.

This is what I do, actually you can make hand hammered rivet as smooth or as course as you like with small brass washers and pins that are very attractive. For textured handles I round the pins before mounting and use a small nail set to texture the pin or a larger one to smooth peen without marring or chipping the surface.

Back