working with Corion

Cameron Wilcox

I bought quite a bit of Corion recently for knife handles. any advice on working with it? I have been real busy lately and haven't been able to finish my first knife but I am getting there and have the handle left to do.
anyone have tips or tricks you have found working with Corion? also what grit do you finish with?
thanks
-Cameron

Corian works great! No tips or tricks ,that I know of.When cutting,and sanding,wear a respirator.
Be careful with the belt sander,it will remove lots of material,and fast
I also looks great with other material.
This is Bloodwood with Corian bolsters
Good luck,

God bless,Keith
attachment.php

005.jpg

Keith, what grit do you finish at with your Corion? I have seen some of your handles with it and am very impressed. Just wondering how high of grit you go to?

Corian is easy to work, it is a little on the brittle side, so be careful when drilling and cutting. I finish corian to at least 600 grit then buff lightly. Just progress up through the grits until you have the finish that you want.
Dale

I have only used it on one knife. Pics below. It cut and dripped and sanded way easy. almost to easy.. so be cautious sanding around the pins as you can easily remove materials you really dont want to! :) I machne sanded to 400 then hand sanded to 1500 and lightly buffed. Smooth as silk!

CustomSujihiki028.jpg

Back