Making micarta scales

sem1845

I decided I want to learn a bit more. I've picked up some micarta and decided I want to make new scales for one of my knives (a well used Buck/Strider). With my limited knowledge, I have determined the steps I am going to take.
1. Make outline of knife and attach to the micarta block
2. Using files, sander, whatever get a very rough shape of the scales that are on the knife.
3. Drill out rivets on the current scales and attach the rough shaped scales to the existing liners.
4. Fine tune shape of the scales and finish up.

Does this seem reasonable? I don't think it should seem this easy.

Thanks,
Eli

well once you get really deep into it,, you will find out,,

If you intend to drill the rivets and remove the old scales anyway why not remove the old scales first and use the actual scales as the templet?

That's it....it really is that easy...in theory. But sometimes your hands take on a mind of their own.....for me anyway.
You'll know right away on the first one, how to do better on the next.

Practice practice practice.2thumbs

I know you've probably heard it before ... but wear a good respirator when grinding/sanding micarta. Phenolic dust and nasal passages and lungs don't get along well. Otherwise sounds good. Good luck!2thumbs

I know you've probably heard it before ... but wear a good respirator when grinding/sanding micarta. Phenolic dust and nasal passages and lungs don't get along well. Otherwise sounds good. Good luck!2thumbs
I've got a few decent face masks left over from leukemia
You'll know right away on the first one, how to do better on the next.

Practice practice practice.2thumbs
I went ahead and bought an extra slice of micarta. I know I'll either screw up or when i get done i will think of something I want to change
If you intend to drill the rivets and remove the old scales anyway why not remove the old scales first and use the actual scales as the templet?
Great idea! I didn't think of that.

I seem to have misplaced the screws I was going to use. Guess I gotta order more.

are your face masks rated for organic vapors? Also wear longsleeves. I got a rash from the dust sitting on my arms.

Back