Neo-Tribal blades... got me thinking...

Stormcrow

These are a bit different from my typical work, and are leading to even more different blades from me in the future.

They all except the little one with the ring are forged from Ford F-250 coil spring, multiple quenched in veggie oil and multiple tempered. Cotton cord Turk's head knots, hemp cord wrap, natural and black shellac sealer, shaving sharp edge. The usual. They are a smidge thicker than I typically do, with the Bowies starting at 5/16" at the blade/tang transition and the utility/EDC knives starting at about 1/4" at the same spot, all tapering distally to the point.

These first two are pretty close to what I've been doing, except for being beefier. 4 1/2" blade, 9" OAL

primaltac4.jpg

4" blade, 9" OAL

primaltac3.jpg

The Bowies are what have really started the gears turning.

This one got dubbed "Thunderdome" by another knifemaker. :D 6 1/2" blade, 11 3/4" OAL

primaltac.jpg

6" blade, 11" OAL

primaltac1.jpg

And this little dude is quite cute. :) This one is a scrap piece of leaf spring left from forging a bush sword, with the thickness at the tang/blade transition 3/16", blade length 2 3/8", and 7" OAL.

primaltac5.jpg

So now, looking at the Bowies and all, and with other things going on in my mind to help fuel the gears turning, my mind is contemplating the phrase "primal/tactical". This could turn interesting. :16:

I like em. Really like Thunderdome and the mini.

Interesting, I was thinking about "primal/tactical" the other day. You see things every now and then that seem to fit that term....Like a Navy Seal with a big beard or an AK-47 with brass tack decoration to the stock etc...

In terms of knives, the term works. A knife may look ancient or primitive in form but would fit in just fine with the latest tactical gear because its basic fuction is undeniable.

There certainly is some overlap between the two knife styles. If nothing else, non-glare finishes and a tendency to use cord wrapped handles! :D

I'm thinking of adding in some more stock removal and synthetic materials. We'll see where this goes. I certainly won't stop making Neo-Tribal blades, but I don't think they'll be hurt by some Primal/Tactical blades being thrown into the mix.

Thunderdome.......Tina Turners legs..........Primal/Tactical kinda freaks me out.....Mad Max stuff I guess...Neo-Tac.....Zombie killers should love them..........Randy

Back