9 3/4" Camp Knife and friend

Lerch

Just finished these up over the long weekend. The camp knife is CPM154 9 3/4" OAL with olive drab and blaze orange G10 with grey fiber liner. This is my first larger scale knife but I am pretty happy with it. The guy i made it for wanted a Ferro rod attached to the sheath which proved to be a bit of a challenge but i got it done
knifephotos005.jpg

Here is a knife i made along with the camp knife. A 7" skinning/hunting knife with olive drab G10 handles.
knifephotos011.jpg

And last is a little utility knife from 1/16th 440C with Carbon fiber grips, pretty dang light. I left the scale on the blade and only polished the cutting edge. I thought it might give it a rustic stone like look with the carbon fiber handles
knifephotos014.jpg

let me know what ya think and where i can improve

thanks
steve

I'd like to see a little more softening to the handles on the smaller two; the edges of the handles look a bit square from here.

But that first one... man that's really cool! Excellent, handy blade design, a nice clean grind and the scales blend together beautifully. Nice texture but not too deep/pointy ridges, cool choice of colors and a great way to mate the bolsters to the main scales with a sexy lil curve. I almost didn't notice the second, smaller pins at first but they add a nice touch. Homerun, go make more! :35:

I must admit I looked this pair over quite a while before I decided I like them. It seemed the longer I looked, the more I liked what I saw. I thiink the materials used complimented the design of the knife and the knife shape is very desirable. The only negative I can find aside from what James has already pointed out....it appears as though there is a bit of a disconnect between the bolster and the handle. I've never made a knife with a bolster so I cant dump on your work, but it looks like the transition could have been a bit smoother. It could just be the picture.
All in all...nice job.

Eric

Thank you both, ya James i see what you are saying on the edges being maybe to sharp. In my hand there is no discomfort but the larger knife with the more rounded handle did feel better. Actually when i was grinding the handle on the larger knife i was planning on doing a rounded handle with no texturing and instead buffing it smooth. When I contacted the guy im making it for he said he wanted it rough textured and i already had the edges rolled down so this is what ended up with, and i will be doing it each time now lol . The little knife would be tough to round out the edges much more, its not 1/2" thick all together, the smaller green would could for sure use it.

Lagrange is the disconnect your talking about the grey fiber spacer i used between the bolster and the olive drab handle? I used it to give me a possible little bit of leeway if i didnt grind the two seperate handle materials to fit just perfect, and i thought it might add a little definition to it though it didnt show up as much as i might have wished.

This was my first to use any form of bolster and i thought the curve would look the best but i do think a straight line or probably a 70-30% slanted partition at a angle across it would have fit easier and probably looked good. Also first time working with pins and lanyard but I didnt fine alot of mystery there once i got going. Also my first time doing any kind of artistic or whatever on the spine of the knife. I didnt get a good photo of it but you can see the spaced out divots i added in a vine pattern, they look pretty nice and they also act a kind of non aggressive thumb or palm serration for heavier working

I got two more to make similiar to the big one so we will see what improvement can come, thanks guys

steve

Last edited:
I like the look with the orange bolster and the OD green scale, the curve where they mate is fine and I think it would look nice with a straight line also. I like the overall blade/handle shapes on all three knives. I think you have a great springboard with these and these knives will get better and better as you refine your design.
As James has already said a little attention to softening the edges of the scales and these are winners.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Bruce

I think the straight line would have been easier, I had some difficulty with the curve on the first side and the second side saw pretty marked improvement, which made me feel great and ticked me off at the same time since the other was already glued down lol. I did the orange bolsters taped together but i did the green handles free hand one at a time (maybe a mistake but it ended up pretty good).

I am thinking about modifying the handle on the smaller green hunting/skinning knife to match the shape and length of the handle on the big two tone, basically no big tear drop at the end, any opinions???

thanks
steve

I know this is the wrong sub forum for it but any opinions on the photos also? this is my first run trying to take a more "professional" photo with a good DSLR camera and not my iphone. I decided to take my new 7wsm target rifle out for some range testing out to 1000yds and figured the overcast morning would give a good soft light for photos, but this is my first try at some real advertising photos so im always looking for improvement

thanks
steve

I am thinking about modifying the handle on the smaller green hunting/skinning knife to match the shape and length of the handle on the big two tone, basically no big tear drop at the end, any opinions???

I like a wide/thick butt (no comments from the peanut gallery, please!). Especially on a smaller knife where you can't really grab the thing like a club, it gives the pinky or ring finger something to leverage against for control and a measure of power. The bottom line (ho ho) is, use it to cut things and see how it feels. If it cuts what you want to cut, and you don't notice the handle much when you're working with it, it's a winner!

"Lagrange is the disconnect your talking about the grey fiber spacer i used between the bolster and the olive drab handle?"

Ahhh, I didnt know dat. The pictures in combination with my eyesight didnt convey a spacer to my mind. It's all good, I do like it.

Well Lerch what is your knife count now. Those are maybe finishing your first dozen knives from start. I think for for such an early stage you are doing super work. Keep working it out you're doing great.

Back